PDA

View Full Version : 15 gallon nano build - light fixture

schroeder
07-21-2010, 06:38 AM
I have assembled the tank. used a 15 gallon tank, and inserted a divider with overflow to yiel a 10 gallon display, with a 5 gallon section for refugium and return.

I want to have the display and refugium on opposing light cycles so a custom light fixture was necessary.

I plan on 4 x 36 Watt compact florescents over the display (2x 10,000K, 2x Actinic), and have yet to decide on the refugium lighting (probably 4x 13 Watt 6500K PL)

I started with a frame out of scraps of aluminum ( I did have to buy 1 piece for $5) assembled with pop rivets.

The reflector is a piece of aluminum for duct repair that I polished and bent to shape (free)
before polishing...6578

after polishing, bent to shape and installed...6580

the cover that I am still*working on is construction aluminum flashing that I have cut and bent to shape.(free)

still testing fit and shape...6581

the lense for the lamps is high quality scratch resistant polycarbonate, with some acrylic for the lense frame (acrylic and polycarbonate $30)

2 ballasts - 1 for daylights, 1 for actinics ($40 each)

4x 4 pin end caps for the bulbs ($2.50 each)

expected cost of hardware for the rfugium light - including bulbs - $50

I'll post more pics when I finish the cover and 'fuge light, and get it all painted.

Wish me luck!

scherzo
07-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Great start! What did you use to polish the aluminum? Did you wet sand at all or just use a polishing compound?

fishytime
07-21-2010, 04:28 PM
wow! someones got some mad tin bashin skills!.....very impressive:biggrin:

gobytron
07-21-2010, 04:59 PM
wow.

Mad skills.

A+ so far...

Wanna build me a light for my aquapod12?

StirCrazy
07-21-2010, 05:52 PM
nice build, the only thing I would have done different is bought spectral aluminum instead of polishing it my self. pollished aluminum while looking shiney only has a reflective index of 70 to 85% and will quickly corode again over the tank unless you put a lot of effort into keeping it shiney.

spectral aluminum has a reflective index of 92 to 99.7 depending on the quality and the reflective surface is actualy nickel which will not react with the salt air so it just takes a simple wipe once and a while to remove the salt creep.

Steve

gobytron
07-21-2010, 08:48 PM
any idea on the material cost difference between the two different aluminums?

schroeder
07-22-2010, 12:08 AM
Great start! What did you use to polish the aluminum? Did you wet sand at all or just use a polishing compound?

I had a block of jewellers rouge at work.

I started by taking a scotchbrite pad to the aluminum to remove the bulk of the oxide.

I shaved some of the jewellers rough into a cup and added thinners to produce a slurry. I folded a cotton cloth and put in on the bottom of my palm sander and soaked the cloth in rouge slurry, and used the palm sander back and forth for several minutes.

I was concerned about the aluminum corroding as well, so I spoke to a buddy who is very talented with building RC aircraft, and he recomended buffing with Mothers carnauba wax (and I just happened to have some). The car wax also has high resistance to UV degradation. I'll have to wait and see how well it works.

I considered getting the aluminum polishing kit from Princess Auto for $30, but the route I chose cost me $0 for materials, $0 for tools and supplies.

schroeder
07-22-2010, 12:20 AM
nice build, the only thing I would have done different is bought spectral aluminum instead of polishing it my self. pollished aluminum while looking shiney only has a reflective index of 70 to 85% and will quickly corode again over the tank unless you put a lot of effort into keeping it shiney.

spectral aluminum has a reflective index of 92 to 99.7 depending on the quality and the reflective surface is actualy nickel which will not react with the salt air so it just takes a simple wipe once and a while to remove the salt creep.

Steve

I will keep that in mind for my next build (when I have money to spend)

I found this product at the bottom of the page, the 12" by 24" @ US$14 would have worked for me. I think that is about 4x the price of what I used, but since i already had it the cost difference would be US$14
http://www.aquatictech.com/lighting.html

StirCrazy
07-22-2010, 04:47 AM

well, 8 years ago or longer.. I did a buy of a full sheet of it 4' x 10' and it cost me about 200 bucks. that was the only way I could get it on the island and there were several others that wanted to build there own reflectors so it worked out ok. only had about 4 sq ft left over and who knows where that went to.

seeing as your in vancouver you should be able to get it in smaller sizes and cheeper, check with sheet metal places and such..

Steve