PDA

View Full Version : Aquarium support - okay or disaster?

Sunee
07-20-2010, 02:53 PM
Hi, I need some advice about whether or not this is a disaster waiting to happen.

A 30x30" aquarium stand (designed for up to a 93 gallon manufacturer's specs) solid flat top. Would it be okay to only have a 30 x 24 or 26" aquarium (approx 60 gallons) - would sit along the back and be over the sides and back of the stand - the front would be on the flat top. Hope this makes sense.

Would this be okay? Any suggestions? I am just in the planning stages and am checking out my options.

Thanks for your help!!!

Slick Fork
07-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Depends where the supports are, is the stand wood or steel? How thick is the countertop?

Sunee
07-20-2010, 03:09 PM
The stand is wood and the top is about 5/8". I was considering adding a 3/4" top over the existing one to provide added support. Would this work?

Slick Fork
07-20-2010, 03:16 PM
I don't see why not, a 3/4" overlay is probably overkill but better safe than sorry. Just ensure that the tank is sitting directly over some of the supports underneath the countertop and you should be ok!

Sunee
07-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks!! If I go this route the tank would definitely be over 3 of the supports under the countertop. Sometimes I think planning a new setup is more stressful than setting it up an taking care of it.