PDA

View Full Version : My tank runneth over (with algae)

Bartman
11-18-2003, 05:12 AM
My tank is being slowly taken over by a red bubble-like algae that looks something like sea grapes (Botryocladia) but this looks a little different than the pics I see on the net. Can anyone identify this? Any ideas how to control it. If I take rocks out and scrub they are quickly covered with a lubricant-like slime which takes some doing to get off once the bubbles have burst.

The pictures are huge, I won't put them up here. TIA.

http://members.shaw.ca/scottndebi/Algae2.JPG

http://members.shaw.ca/scottndebi/_borders/Algae1.JPG

sumpfinfishe
11-18-2003, 08:35 AM
Scott,
In order to help control and rid algae you must first find out what's causing it to bloom. There can be many factors to cause this action. You stated in a previous thread that you were using Langley tap water, if that's still the case and it's not treated by means of RO/DI then this could be a major cause of the problem. Also, performing more water changes to rid the tank of excessive nutrients could be doing more harm than good if your simply using dechlorinated tap water. If your water is not the problem, then check other things such as overfeeding, old bulbs or tubes, low alkilinity, dirty filters, etc.... Alot of the time an algae outbreak can come from something that is right in front of you and it's simply overlooked or just not thought of.
Also make sure that after you scrub your rocks free of algae, too give them a serious saltwater rinse before you place them back into your tank, otherwise you might be releasing more spores back into the water.

Goodluck

Bartman
11-18-2003, 09:02 AM
You stated in a previous thread that you were using Langley tap water, if that's still the case and it's not treated by means of RO/DI then this could be a major cause of the problem.

Rich,

Thanks for the reply. The Langley tap water goes in my fresh water tanks. I buy RO (not DI I think) from Save-on for the reef. My bulbs are about a month old, I change 10-20% water/week, clean filters every few days. I have not tested alk recently, will do, as well as other tests.

I have no other (large) algae blooms other than this red monster. It is everywhere now. Powerheads, tank seals, gravel, rock, it's even on some of the snails. Any idea what it is? It came in as a small lump on a GSP rock, the LFS thought it might be interesting. It is somewhat irridescent when viewed from above. It is no longer interesting.

mnoll406
11-18-2003, 03:33 PM
Hey Scott,
I think that is trhe Macro algae Gracillaria (not sure if spelling is right). Generally a good algae, should compete directly with unwanted algae. Tangs are also supposed to love it. Manually harvest, but I would try not to wipe it out.

Mike

Chin_Lee
11-18-2003, 04:06 PM
Can anybody id this algae?

Scott
how tough are the bubbles? Are they rubbery or delicate?

Chad
11-18-2003, 04:41 PM
I have a small little spec of that algae in my tank... so far I don't mind.. It looks nice..

Chad

Bartman
11-18-2003, 07:23 PM
Can anybody id this algae?

Scott
how tough are the bubbles? Are they rubbery or delicate?

I would say they are somewhat delicate. They have a rubbery texture but are quite easy to break or pull off the rock. They will usually break when I try to pull them off. You have to scrub to get their anchor/roots out. If they break loose they float around in the current but eventually sink.

Diomedes
11-23-2003, 07:38 AM
It could be a morph of Laurencia spp. which is not an uncommon Rhodophyte, but more likely it is a member of the Nemastoma Genus, which is found in a variety of growth forms. From your earlier pictures you emailed me Scotty I would have instantly thought it was Botrycladia, but now it is apparent that is not the case.

I would consider adding a small Diadema urchin to your small display. They are at King Ed's right now and are harsh grazers of a wide variety of Algae. They are also very agile.

Cheers,
Stephen[/i]

Skimmerking
11-23-2003, 10:10 PM
Well i have a huge lots of bubble algae and i' thinking its from my old actinic NO bulbs that i have, so i guess i will change them..

Mike

Bartman
11-24-2003, 04:45 AM
I would consider adding a small Diadema urchin to your small display. They are at King Ed's right now and are harsh grazers of a wide variety of Algae. They are also very agile.

Cheers,
Stephen

Thanks, Stephen. Diadema are the long spined black urchins aren't they? Would you recommend them over a Tuxedo or other type?

LostMind
11-24-2003, 06:00 AM
the diadema are these ones:

http://www.edge-of-reef.com/echinoidi/ECHDiademasetosumen.htm

I picked up one today, these suckers are FAST!

EmptyMind
11-24-2003, 07:46 AM
yup.. me got one today too.. (thanks LostMind).. HOPEFULLY it will make a dent in my tank of algea..of course.. I just have hair algea.. i WISH i had that pretty red stuff.. :(

Bartman
11-24-2003, 07:51 PM
yup.. me got one today too.. (thanks LostMind).. HOPEFULLY it will make a dent in my tank of algea..of course.. I just have hair algea.. i WISH i had that pretty red stuff.. :(

I'd be happy to give you some. :wink: