PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Crab theif!!!

kevNnic
07-20-2010, 01:20 AM
Well i was feeding my anemones today and i was feeding my smaller rbta a silverside and as he was pulling it in slowly to eat my emerald crab stole it and ate it in a matter of minutes. It was pretty neat to see!

Has this ever happened to anyone else? :lol:

Lance
07-20-2010, 02:02 AM
Well i was feeding my anemones today and i was feeding my smaller rbta a silverside and as he was pulling it in slowly to eat my emerald crab stole it and ate it in a matter of minutes. It was pretty neat to see!

Has this ever happened to anyone else? :lol:

Yes, KILL IT!!!!!!!

kevNnic
07-20-2010, 03:19 PM
kill it? why? i like him! he is great for algee, this is the first problem i have ever had with it.

muck
07-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Lance don't like CRABS!!! :lol:

kevNnic
07-20-2010, 05:41 PM
i like my crab! just thought it was funny that it jacked up my anemone for my silverside.

gobytron
07-20-2010, 06:16 PM
your em crab better watch out.
I hear your anemone has a lot of friends.

would hate to see it get rolled on next feeding time....

kevNnic
07-20-2010, 06:22 PM
lol my coral beauty took a bit of offence to it actually. but the em crab snagged it and hid under the rock really quick.

DiverDude
07-20-2010, 07:12 PM
I hear your anemone has a lot of friends.

With friends like that, who needs anenomes ?

yuk, yuk, yuk :mrgreen:

kevNnic
07-20-2010, 08:16 PM
With friends like that, who needs anenomes ?

yuk, yuk, yuk :mrgreen:

:biggrin: zing!

Lance
07-20-2010, 10:27 PM
Lance don't like CRABS!!! :lol:

Never met a crab I liked. They are all killers sooner or later. Even the cute little hermits: They'll kill your snails and start on coral polyps. The only good crab is the one floating in lemon garlic butter.

trinac
07-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Just had the BEST crab from Costco the other day... YUM!

kevNnic
07-20-2010, 10:41 PM
haha my hermit crabs are savages. I will be keep an eye on my emerald from now on, He seemed peaced lurking in the shadows but now i know he is up to no good. lol

edit: i perfer my crab with a nice side of steak as well! dont get my wrong.

Lance
07-20-2010, 10:53 PM
haha my hermit crabs are savages. I will be keep an eye on my emerald from now on, He seemed peaced lurking in the shadows but now i know he is up to no good. lol

edit: i perfer my crab with a nice side of steak as well! dont get my wrong.

I had a serious bubble algae breakout some time back so I got an Emerald. Within 3 days it was turning its nose up at the bubble algae and happily snacking on my zoas.

kevNnic
07-20-2010, 11:21 PM
i would be looking to get rid of him after that point, he stays pretty much in one area of my tank on the LR, if he turns on my corals his time will come.

Wayne
07-21-2010, 12:05 AM
Never met a crab I liked. They are all killers sooner or later. Even the cute little hermits: They'll kill your snails and start on coral polyps. The only good crab is the one floating in lemon garlic butter.

MMMMM Lemon Garlic Butter!

Spiny
07-21-2010, 03:47 PM
agreed. I loved my emerald until I found out he was the one to blame for my zoas disappearing. He's in time out in the sump now

SAMSHUNG
07-21-2010, 04:02 PM
I've always been discouraged from keeping crabs however I find my cleaner shrimp far more sinister than my crabs. I've got one porcelain crab and a Xanthid crab tunneling in my LR which I can't catch because it's always hiding. I think it's fearful for it's life after the cleaner shrimp ate 3 of my 5 hermit crabs. I witnessed it too. Pulled it straight outta it's shell and began devouring it alive. Also they never permit me to feed my LPS especially my beloved Dendros without me having to intervene by preventing them looting the Dendros meals. So far if there's been any tank addition that I've regretted it's been the cleaner shrimp and not the crabs. Just my experience.

Lance
07-21-2010, 05:23 PM
I've always been discouraged from keeping crabs however I find my cleaner shrimp far more sinister than my crabs. I've got one porcelain crab and a Xanthid crab tunneling in my LR which I can't catch because it's always hiding. I think it's fearful for it's life after the cleaner shrimp ate 3 of my 5 hermit crabs. I witnessed it too. Pulled it straight outta it's shell and began devouring it alive. Also they never permit me to feed my LPS especially my beloved Dendros without me having to intervene by preventing them looting the Dendros meals. So far if there's been any tank addition that I've regretted it's been the cleaner shrimp and not the crabs. Just my experience.

I hear ya. Shrimps can be a PITA as well. When you feed your LPS try putting one of those plastic containers that strawberries come in over the LPS.

kevNnic
07-27-2010, 04:58 PM
well yesterday he really ****ed me off. Over the past week my coral beauty has lost a decent amount of her fin, and im pretty sure i found the culprit. For some odd reason she likes that crabs and follows it around the tank, and the Em crab was grabbing onto her yesterday pretty good, but she didn't seem to mind, which i thought was weird, I had to put my hand into the tank to make the coral beauty leave the em crab.

WTF? why would she do this?

trinac
07-27-2010, 05:44 PM
So bizarre about the angel / crab pair!

I feed my shrimp some mysis everyday. My crab gets fed every couple days too. I give it a piece of the dehydrated algae sheets, it will take it right from my hand too! I can't say for sure, but I think the inverts are more behaved because they have no lack of food.

gobytron
07-27-2010, 06:01 PM
well yesterday he really ****ed me off. Over the past week my coral beauty has lost a decent amount of her fin, and im pretty sure i found the culprit. For some odd reason she likes that crabs and follows it around the tank, and the Em crab was grabbing onto her yesterday pretty good, but she didn't seem to mind, which i thought was weird, I had to put my hand into the tank to make the coral beauty leave the em crab.

WTF? why would she do this?

I used to date a girl that was a lot like that...

there is no accounting for tastes...

Lance
07-27-2010, 10:45 PM
See, I told you to KILL IT!!!!

kevNnic
07-27-2010, 11:37 PM
i will be giving him one more chance! Than i will find him a new home. I would feel bad killing it. :sad:

trinac
07-28-2010, 11:07 PM
I would either take it back to the store or give it to someone you know who has a mantis shrimp. At Ocean City, in Calgary, the guy will take any hitchhiker crabs to feed to the mantis shrimp in the store.