PDA

View Full Version : Mag-flip - a piece of junk

nlreefguy
07-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Got one a couple of weeks ago. Doesn't clean with the pad as well as the mag-float and doesn't scrape as well with the hard side to get off coraline algae with ease - certainly not as well as the easy blade attachment for the mag float either. So the mag float trumps it in all ways, don't waste your money. Plus, I'm not even going to get into the artistry required to flip from the soft to hard side!

viperfish
07-19-2010, 10:45 PM
How thick is your glass? What Size Mag Flip did you buy?

reefwars
07-19-2010, 10:48 PM
any good saltwater stores in st.johns or area now adays??

nlreefguy
07-19-2010, 10:51 PM
How thick is your glass? What Size Mag Flip did you buy?

It's a standard 50 gallon, so whatever that is. I bought the only size offered by J&L aquatics, I confess that I didn't know there were different sizes but this one seems plenty big for a 50 gallon. It's bigger than my biggest mag float!

nlreefguy
07-19-2010, 10:52 PM
any good saltwater stores in st.johns or area now adays??

If you know anything about the scene in St. John's, I'll just say "it's the same". lol ....and if you don't I'll say Tropical and Marine pets on Torbay road is the only game in town...

nlreefguy
07-19-2010, 10:53 PM
Oh, there's pets unlimited too, but they're really not worth mentioning. Just to give you some idea of the situation, the only type of skimmer I can buy here in St. John's are Red Sea products :(

reefwars
07-20-2010, 12:07 AM
Makes a fella want to move back home and get a saltwater store up and running I'm sure the misses would love that lol :) been five years since I was home and when I was there wasn't anything for saltwater worth the trip :):)

mseepman
07-20-2010, 12:09 AM
Agreed, got one of these and even on 6mm glass...not worth a dime for scraping ability.

nlreefguy
07-20-2010, 03:15 AM
Makes a fella want to move back home and get a saltwater store up and running I'm sure the misses would love that lol :) been five years since I was home and when I was there wasn't anything for saltwater worth the trip :):)

please do... I'll even help you get started. Hell, I'd partner up with you if I thought we could get in some good equipment and reliable supply of good corals. St. John's is dying for a high end reef shop.

nlreefguy
07-20-2010, 03:16 AM
Agreed, got one of these and even on 6mm glass...not worth a dime for scraping ability.

They should be paying us to take them off their hands!

fishay
07-20-2010, 05:34 AM
I also made the mistake of buying a mag flip, after realizing both sides sucked and not wanting to have wasted the money...I rubber band a razor blade to the scraper side and it now works great for scraping algae/coralline and I don't have to stick my hand in the tank :biggrin:.

nlreefguy
07-20-2010, 12:21 PM
I also made the mistake of buying a mag flip, after realizing both sides sucked and not wanting to have wasted the money...I rubber band a razor blade to the scraper side and it now works great for scraping algae/coralline and I don't have to stick my hand in the tank :biggrin:.

Oh yeah? I'd like to see a picture of what you've got done there - we'll salvage this thing yet!