PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone suggest an in sump skimmer for me?

snow1
07-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Hi all, I'm looking into different skimmers for my tank. I really like my vertex that I have on right now but it's only good up to tanks that are 80g. I'm looking for options on a skimmer for a 175g tank. I really like vertex ones but when I looked at the higher end models the price really jumped. Plus I have a space issue. The skimmer can't be wider than 12" or it won't fit in my sump. and it can't be over 20" in height, is there a skimmer out there that would fit? I don't want to spend like $700 on a skimmer b/c I new to saltwater and just want something to get the job done. I know you get what you payed for etc... but what's a good choice? The tank is going to be a moderatly stocked predator tank with fish such as eel,groupers etc....
OR
do I even need a bigger skimmer? I know skimmers are not needed and the filtration on my tank is already very good. Seems to be going well so far but the tank does not have any fish yet.

Ron99
07-19-2010, 10:28 PM
The SWC ones look really nice and would probably be what I would buy if I were looking for a skimmer now. My Bubble Magus is also well built and performing well. Check with Ian at Oceanic Corals and he'll hook you up :D

Milad
07-19-2010, 10:34 PM
my opinion (which is a noob one) get a used skimmer. Only thing that really wears out is the pump, everything else you are paying for doesn't really wear. Plus if the pump wears out you can replace it with a pump you like better.

i got a pentair 250 on my 180g which is similar to euroreef 250 (http://www.freshmarine.com/euro-reef-rs-250.html)

I also got H & S 200 (http://thereefpro.com/product.php?productid=16534) but it doesnt fit under my tank unless i move my power line which ive put off.. lol

snow1
07-19-2010, 11:12 PM
Ya I would like to buy a skimmer used if I could and save some coin. I'll look into your suggestions.

Myka
07-20-2010, 01:42 AM
I would also suggest you look for something used. Personally, I wouldn't suggest you go down from a Vertex. If you don't want to or can't spend the money on a decent quality skimmer like Vertex or EuroReef that will fit your tank size I would suggest you just use the small Vertex you have now, and save your money until the right deal comes along or you can save up enough money. Imo, if you got a lesser quality but bigger skimmer you wouldn't be any further ahead in actual skimmer capability. Generally, the cheaper the skimmer the greater volume the manufacturer will claim it can function. The better brands will suggest a volume that is much closer to actual ability. However, personally I always practice and suggest to others that you buy a decent quality skimmer that is rated for 50-100% more volume than what your set up is. For instance, I have a EuroReef RS-180 on my 90 gallon reef. I wouldn't want anything less. I would suggest either a Vertex IN-250 or EuroReef RS-250 for your reef, although I'm not totally sure on dimensions for you. Of course something is always better than nothing. Do what you can do, and make the best of it. :)

Tetrarch
07-20-2010, 02:36 AM
The Octopus Extreme 250 might be a good choice for your tank at a pretty reasonable price.

snow1
07-20-2010, 07:17 AM
So the space I have to work with here is:
11.5" L
10.75" W
and anthing under 24" in height I can work with.

Problem is I don't think a skimmer for a 200g+ tank exists with that small of a base.:sad:
Does anyone have suggestions?

All the skimmers mentioned above are to long or wide...

Ron99
07-20-2010, 07:37 AM
You might want to consider an external skimmer. Your in sump space is really small and I doubt you'll find one rated for 200G to fit in there.

Madreefer
07-20-2010, 02:53 PM
The Bubbleking Mini 180 will fit and works awesome. Only rated for 180 but supposedly works better if pushed beyond it's rating. You should be able to pick a used one up for around $700. But they don't come around that often. Keep the one you have for now until you find a good deal.

ferret
07-20-2010, 04:37 PM
The bubbleking skimmers are good but not for the mini models. Don't waste money on the mini to handle a system of 200 gal.

snow1
07-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Ya I like those skimmers but alas I don't have $900+ to spend right now. I guess I'll keep what I have until I save up for a better skimmer. Are these are only skimmers that have the pump on the inside or are there other brands as well?

Slick Fork
07-20-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm going to agree with those saying keep what you've got until you can afford a reasonable upgrade. Trading a decent skimmer like yours for a bargain brand which claims a higher capacity but doesn't work as well isn't a really good option.

Do a search over at reef central for the vertex skimmer club, I skimmed a few posts over there discussing replacing the pump and the MASSIVE difference it made in skimmate production. That might work out to be the most cost effective stop-gap measure for you. I can't recall if the In-80's were discussed or not.

Where does the 20" height restriction come from? Your stand? I can't imagine any skimmers rated for that size of a tank that would fit in there. I have an In-180 and I need at least 25" clearance. If it's the way the sump is designed you may have to bite the bullet and buy a new sump to fit a properly sized skimmer.

Red Fish Blue Fish
07-20-2010, 08:40 PM
The bubbleking skimmers are good but not for the mini models. Don't waste money on the mini to handle a system of 200 gal.

Do you have one or seen one in action? I run a mini on 240 gallon fish only and its a beast. Mini = compact for space. water is crystal clear and huge fish. Vertex are great skimmers as well I didnt mention it because of your space req.

ferret
07-20-2010, 09:07 PM
Yes and I've been running a mini 200 for my 240gal fowlr system too for nearly 2 years but not quite satisfied with the result when compared with my other 140gal fish only system using the swc skimmer I recently bought.

Lance
07-20-2010, 10:20 PM
11.5" L
10.75" W

Problem is I don't think a skimmer for a 200g+ tank exists with that small of a base.:sad:

Check out the Bubble Magus line. Some of them have small footprints.

Skimmerking
08-28-2010, 02:01 PM
yuppers 220 cone will do the Job.

snow1
08-28-2010, 08:29 PM
yuppers 220 cone will do the Job.

Thanks but I found my skimmer already.

sully08
04-18-2011, 05:19 PM
11.5" L
10.75" W

Check out the Aqua C these are good skimmers with a fairly small footprint, 6"x10" approx.

RuGlu6
04-18-2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks but I found my skimmer already.

What did you end up getting?

dsaundry
04-18-2011, 06:01 PM
I would normally recommend the BM or the SWC normally, I just bought a SWC 180 and I am wishing I had got the BM now I think. Still having a hell of a time dialing this skimmer in. Sometimes it works great and other times it doesnt, overflows sometimes and other times it puts way too many microbubbles in system. Water levels are controlled by ato and not an issue imo. If I can't lock this down soon I am going to put the old skimmer back in sump.:sad:

Gooly001
04-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Daryl,

Bring it in, we'll do a full test on it for you and if it's a defective skimmer it will be under warranty.

I'll run if for a few days at the store to see what's causing the inconsistency.

LMK if that works.

Paul

I would normally recommend the BM or the SWC normally, I just bought a SWC 180 and I am wishing I had got the BM now I think. Still having a hell of a time dialing this skimmer in. Sometimes it works great and other times it doesnt, overflows sometimes and other times it puts way too many microbubbles in system. Water levels are controlled by ato and not an issue imo. If I can't lock this down soon I am going to put the old skimmer back in sump.:sad:

dsaundry
04-19-2011, 03:44 AM
Thanks Paul, pm'd you. :biggrin:

Myka
04-19-2011, 08:43 PM
I have a couple large EuroReefs, a small Vertex, and a small SWC cone. I find all these skimmers are fussy...not set and forget by any stretch of the imagination. Mine are all controlled by a baffle so water height is consistent. I find they all perform best in the lowest manufacturer recommended water height. When they are skimming these are all good skimmers...they just overflow every once in awhile and I can't seem to make a connection to figure out why. I just clean the cups out every couple days so when they overflow they aren't dumping too much back into the system. Oh, and I swear at them regularly. :D