Ok so I have the following right now:
Chocolate mimic
Yellow Tang

Im going looking to get the following in this order:
powder brown
red sea sailfin
purple
Sohal

anyone see anything wrong with my list? suggestions and comments always welcome.

Coleus
07-19-2010, 05:24 AM
your yellow tang may fight the salfin and purple. Your chocolate mimic won't like powder brown.

PoonTang
07-19-2010, 05:36 AM
+1 also remember that a sohal can reach 24" in the wild so will get quite large in your tank.

Milad
07-19-2010, 05:43 AM
how long will they fight for? couple days?

PoonTang
07-19-2010, 05:51 AM
yes or even until 1 of them is dead.

Milad
07-19-2010, 05:55 AM
yes or even until 1 of them is dead.
well thats not good, i dont want any to die!!! should i add the sailfin and purple at same time?

Coleus
07-19-2010, 06:10 AM
It is hit and miss. try to move rock around and add them at same time and observe their aggression over couple days. Maybe you get lucky and they all live happy together.

Kevotron
07-19-2010, 06:52 AM
speaking of tangs, i have a tomini... are they aggressive towards other tangs ? or vice versa

fishytime
07-19-2010, 01:34 PM
I would scrap the the sohal and the sailfin from your list......both of these fish will get too big for your tank(Ive seen pics of sailfins that are larger than a dinner plate).....as for the other tangs.....all you can really do is try them and see what happens.....its really is gonna depend on the individual fish....sometimes there will be some posturing and some minimal sparing, other times it may be a fight to the death.....re-arranging the rockwork(changes territories) can help.....and also putting a mirror in front of the tank can distract the resident fish while a newbie has a chance to settle in....

fishoholic
07-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Also (just to be aware of) they may fight at first then seem to get along for awhile then the next thing you know one ends up dead. Just happend to me with my sohal and clown tangs. I knew it was a major risk putting the two together but I was really hoping my sohal would be fine with the clown tang (had 2 together before and they were fine) but unfortunately while they seemed ok with each other after a few days, my clown had bite marks on him on Sat. and was MIA yesterday. This was a month and a bit after I 1st got him and they seemed ok with each other.

Lance
07-19-2010, 04:24 PM
I think you're pushing it with that many tangs in a 180g. It may work out for you but odds are against it. And as stated above the Sohal and Sailfin get huge. I've got a SF in a 225g. I've had him for 2+ years, (he's about 6"), and the bigger/older he gets the more possessive he gets of his space. Although he gets along with his tank mates, anything new coming in the tank gets his attention right away. He will even attack the feeding stick or other inanimate objects. Small, juvie tangs are a whole lot different from large mature tangs. As for the Sohal, IMO, nothing less than an 8' tank will suffice. However you decide, good luck with them. :biggrin:

Milad
07-19-2010, 05:30 PM
well i really wanted either a clown or a sohal and after everyone said clown is hard to keep i decided to go back to sohal.

Im willing to give up the sailfin and just keep the sohal on the list, hows that sound?

fishoholic
07-19-2010, 06:42 PM
Most sohals are very aggressive, the smaller the tank you have the more aggressive they are. I know people who couldn't keep one in their 230g tank becuase of how aggressive it was to other tank mates, you could try it but odds are it will outgrow your tank fairly fast and take it's aggression out on other tank mates.

Lance
07-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Have you considered a Kole Tang. They are great algae eaters; are a smaller species; don't require as much space as other tangs; and a different species/colouration from your other tangs.

Milad
07-19-2010, 08:36 PM
i had kole on my list but im not sure of the color (too dark for me). I love the colors of the sohal and clown and purple. Im looking for color. Is there another tang that has nice colors like the sohal and clown? I remember when I first saw a sohal i was like, WOW i want that fish in my tank.

dsaundry
07-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Oceanic had some lovely tangs when I was there on Sunday.. Tangs are a hit and miss in any size tank imo. They can fight until one is dead or just until they claim a territory. I have a Purple, Sailfin, +{2} Yellows, all in my 90g, which is the temporary tank until the 150g is set up, but even though I got these fish when they were quite small, they do get large.

Milad
07-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Oceanic had some lovely tangs when I was there on Sunday.. Tangs are a hit and miss in any size tank imo. They can fight until one is dead or just until they claim a territory. I have a Purple, Sailfin, +{2} Yellows, all in my 90g, which is the temporary tank until the 150g is set up, but even though I got these fish when they were quite small, they do get large.

what tangs did they have? purple or powder brown?
all the fish ive gotten from them have been awesome so far.

fishoholic
07-19-2010, 11:01 PM
Chevron tangs are nice but hard to find, and hard to get eating. They also get darker as they become adults but imo they are really cool.

Milad
07-19-2010, 11:24 PM
chevron tang was on my list but i took it off because i didnt want to hunt one down for 324342343 years.

naesco
07-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Your tank is large enough to accommodate several tangs.
When you choose them choose them on the sole basis of health (nice and plump, clear alert eyes, no tears or spots) The tang should be just as interested in you as you are in it.

You want colour
For the blue colour choose between a regal tang or an Atlantic blue. NEVER a powder blue.
For purple, the purple tang.
For a mixed colour the power brown tang A.japonica (with orange on it)
For a different tang seriously look at the mata or maculiceps.
If you choose a sohol place it in the tank last.

When you are ready to buy and before you buy ask again for tips to avoid fighting, death and aggression from the reefers who successfully keep them.

Milad
07-20-2010, 12:28 AM
Your tank is large enough to accommodate several tangs.
When you choose them choose them on the sole basis of health (nice and plump, clear alert eyes, no tears or spots) The tang should be just as interested in you as you are in it.

You want colour
For the blue colour choose between a regal tang or an Atlantic blue. NEVER a powder blue.

When you are ready to buy and before you buy ask again for tips to avoid fighting, death and aggression from the reefers who successfully keep them.

how about, i employ you since you are in vancover! so lets say you are at the LFS and you see a nice purple or brown or something that would fit my tank and you shoot me a message? this way i get a good tang for my tank and the tang wont be upset!

Milad
07-20-2010, 12:38 AM
o wow both mata and maculiceps looks nice. especially maculiceps! maybe ill sup maculiceps in for the sailfin

dsaundry
07-20-2010, 01:05 AM
They had a Powder Blue, Orange Shoulder, Sailfin or something like it...Great looking fish

Milad
07-22-2010, 02:02 AM
well i just got a purple tang!! woot woot
put him in, and boom yellow tang is so ****ed off right now. kinda funny to watch though, yellow is half the size of the purple. I got lights out and a mirror up.

Skimmerking
07-22-2010, 02:48 AM
There you go Milad that is the guy to ask he does know his Tangs. I do in my 150 have a red Sea Sailfin and orange shoulder and a Kole
kole was 1st
then the Sailfin and then the Orange shoulder. I feel that the sailfin is the best however they do get big and I may let him live in my buddies 300 and get a Chevron and a tommi later
on

when I added my Orange the kole went retarded on her I thought that he was going to kill her. SO i went the mirror route for like 2 weeks and the kole totally forgot about the orange and fought himself for 2 weeks and it was finished he still goes to the right side looking for himself from day to dayYour tank is large enough to accommodate several tangs.

You want colour

globaldesigns
07-22-2010, 03:00 AM
I have a Sohal in my 180G, and it is fine. Be careful though they are very aggressive, so you add it last. I see that is what you are planning to do.

Personally, I love my Sohal and everyone comments on how vibrant it is. It is 100% the show-piece fish of the tank. I have had mine since the beginning, and he may be about 8-9 inches in length.

I also found the aggressiveness of the Sohal (or at least mine) has diminished with age and growth. He may give chase to my foxface once in a while, also my Yellow Tang, but he doesn't cause any damage to fish or corals.

I have the following, and introduced them in order stated:
- Good Ole Dori
- Yellow Tang
- Sohal Tang
- Blonde Naso Tang (I thought for sure introducing this last, would cause grief with the Sohal, but he just ignored him, I just got lucky)

As stated the Sohal is my showpiece, but my Blonde Naso is a close second. Everyone comments on the orange lip-stick lips. HEHE

Good luck with the selections, have fun!

Milad
07-22-2010, 05:25 AM
ya i just saw a sohal again when i was buying the purple and wow they are beutiful. i cant take sohal off my list. just too stunning.

Milad
07-22-2010, 09:23 PM
so i woke up today after putting up the mirror and the purple in last night. Every fish was up against the mirror trying to attack itself. My clowns stop bothering each other and starting going after their twin. Probably one of the funniest things Ive seen in awhile.

the yellow kept bothering the purple though, hopefully it stopped by the time i get home.

Skimmerking
07-22-2010, 09:55 PM
just make sure that you put the mirror at the side where the yellow hangs out

naesco
07-23-2010, 04:12 AM
ya i just saw a sohal again when i was buying the purple and wow they are beutiful. i cant take sohal off my list. just too stunning.

Keep it on your list but add it as your last tang which will be many months away.
If not you risk not being able to add another tang and other fish again.

Milad
07-23-2010, 05:50 AM
these guys are hilarious with this mirrior up.
They are lined up just staring at each other. My LMB sits there, on the sand, looking at himself, so funny. My foxface is pulling out his fins or whatever they are making him self big and chasing himself up and down, lol.

Anyways the yellow is still going nuts on the purple but he doesnt seem to be pulling the "knife" out i dont think. hes just pushing him away because the purple keeps going into his hideout. Purple doesnt seem to bothered about it but does swim away. Ive seen him bolt away a couple times to the other side of the tank.

looks like the purple has some ich on him too, little white dots are starting to come out. My cleaner wrasse looks like hes pecking at him but not sure if hes pulling the white dots off. But the purple is eating like a champ, anything he sees that looks like food gets inhaled.

Lance
07-23-2010, 04:40 PM
We wanna see your new fishes. :biggrin:
Also, you should take down the mirror as soon as you can, as it's causing stress. If you've got Ich in the tank it may get worse with stressed fish.

Milad
07-24-2010, 12:57 AM
ask and you shall recieve!
they seem to be playing nice now, mirror removed

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2361330/Aquarium%20build/Livestock/2010-07-23/021.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2361330/Aquarium%20build/Livestock/2010-07-23/022.JPG

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2361330/Aquarium%20build/Livestock/2010-07-23/031.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2361330/Aquarium%20build/Livestock/2010-07-23/032.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2361330/Aquarium%20build/Livestock/2010-07-23/035.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2361330/Aquarium%20build/Livestock/2010-07-23/036.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2361330/Aquarium%20build/Livestock/2010-07-23/040.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2361330/Aquarium%20build/Livestock/2010-07-23/041.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2361330/Aquarium%20build/Livestock/2010-07-23/042.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2361330/Aquarium%20build/Livestock/2010-07-23/043.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2361330/Aquarium%20build/Livestock/2010-07-23/048.JPG

Skimmerking
07-24-2010, 01:19 AM
love the powder brown,

Milad
07-24-2010, 01:23 AM
thats not a powder brown, its a chocolate mimic isnt it?

Lance
07-24-2010, 02:05 AM
thats not a powder brown, its a chocolate mimic isnt it?

Yup, Chocolate Mimic or just Mimic Tang. Nice looking fish.