PDA

View Full Version : New to Saltwater Need EVERYTHING

super_deeduper
07-17-2010, 03:45 AM
I have been doing a lot of research and am ready to tackle a marine aquarium for my self - beginner but wanting to set up a 100 g (+/-) tank with sump - looking for someone wanting to get rid of some of their equipment/stock - have nothing right now - advice welcomed - need to buy EVERYTHING :smile: Located in Calgary AB

Eb0la11
07-17-2010, 03:46 AM
I have some beginner corals if you are thinking of going with a reef tank once you are ready.

super_deeduper
07-17-2010, 04:06 AM
Very interested thank you... Just need to get the tank first :biggrin:

ElGuappo
07-17-2010, 04:08 AM
keep your eyes open there is always a deal or two to be had here... also lots of tanks for sale in edmonton right now if you can handle the drive...

fencer
07-17-2010, 04:48 AM
Get an idea on how much you want to budget...once the horse is out of the barn hard to keep it in....:twised:

Seriously ask more questions here before you spend. There are many good deals to be had on this forum

super_deeduper
07-17-2010, 04:54 AM
What do you think is a reasonable price to pay for a 100 ish gallon tank, stand and all equipment?

meenamjah
07-17-2010, 05:35 AM
that really depends on the type of equipment... probably best to be patient, because quite a few full systems come up for sale at a really good price...

Coleus
07-17-2010, 05:36 AM
very hard to say because depend on the equipment. There are huge difference in price between a vortech and koralia power head. Bubble King vs Aquamedic skimmer, etcc...

I would say for a decent setup, $700-$1000 should get you one system from some one who wants to get out of this hobby

Wayne
07-18-2010, 05:05 AM
very hard to say because depend on the equipment. There are huge difference in price between a vortech and koralia power head. Bubble King vs Aquamedic skimmer, etcc...

I would say for a decent setup, $700-$1000 should get you one system from some one who wants to get out of this hobby

Sure wish I had bought someone elses system... I went all new for most of my stuff... Never again :cry:

I definatly recommend finding someone whos is moving or "shutting down" and selling a complete system. Even if you don't like the fish, corals or equipment you can change/trade/sell, whenever you want. Most people have $5000+ into an aquarium that size and they usually sell for less than a $1000 (Which doesn't even cover the stand, sump and aquarium)

Also do as much research as possible on anything you can get your hands on. You should know that this can be very addictive aswell, so be prepared to attend AA (Aquarium Addict) meetings and interventions :lol:

Good luck!

Milad
07-18-2010, 05:37 AM
my 180g has probably cost me 5000-6000 i think. it adds up really fast!! be careful

bauder1986
07-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Well, if your ready for this hobby and want to know what you need for set up. Start asking some questions. First off, do you want a reef tank or fish only.

if you want a reef tank, you need to ask alot of questions and do alot of research like the rest of us are still doing:wink:.

Ask us on our opinions on skimmers, lights, tank designs, flow control systems(MP40 is the way to go!!!), ask about zeo vs....no zeo, plumbing setups, RO units, reactors, dosing products, salt products, fish combatibilities, coral needs, aqua controllers, pest management, fish/coral stress reducing techniques, why patience is vital to the success of your tank!

So lets work to get your questions asked and help you with your first tank.

Skimmerking
07-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Well I have a dual galaxy electronic ballast for ya if you are going metal halides with bulbs, no reflectors thou.. ya i would hate to add up my aussie tank that i have. easily 4000+ in them