PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate problems

molybdenumman
11-17-2003, 06:02 PM
I'm having problems with my nitrate levels in my tank. Levels keep creeping back up to ~100ppm. Water changes help, but I'm looking for an easier way to bring the levels down. It is an established tank, 1.5 years old.

Son Of Skyline
11-17-2003, 06:17 PM
More info on your tank setup would help...

Having said that, I think water changes are the easiest way, but the best thing to do would be to find the source of this nitrate problem. Has your nitrates gone up just recently or has this been an ongoing problem? You may want to review your bioload. Too many fish? Overfeeding? Any animals gone missing recently that may be dead behind your rockwork? Have you checked your skimmer to make sure it's working properly? How's your water quality besides the nitrates?

Aquattro
11-17-2003, 06:31 PM
From your previous posts, you have alot of live stock in a 50g.
"Torch Coral, Xenia looking coral (don't remember name)
Anenomes: 2 bubble tip , 1 long tent.
Fish: Yellow Tang, Flame Angel, Maroon, Tomato, Pink Skunk, false perc clowns, Bangaii Cardinal
2 Urchins"

These will all add a lot of nitrogenous waste to the system. Heavy skimming and frequent water changes are probably your best options. If you feed frozen foods, make sure you rinse it first to remove the juices.

Quinn
11-17-2003, 06:58 PM
If you feed frozen foods, make sure you rinse it first to remove the juices.

Not to hijack a thread, but this was suggested to me when I had a serious cyano outbreak. It makes fairly good sense, but I'm wondering there is any qualitative data on this, evidence as to its necessity. Who was the first to cite this as a factor in nutrient surplus?

hw
11-17-2003, 08:07 PM
how about some macro algae to soak up some of that nitrate? i've read on rc that 25% of the dry weight of maco algae is nitrate. the stuff is growing like crazy in my tank and i have to harvest weekly to bi-weekly so i think it's removing lots of nitrate.

Aquattro
11-17-2003, 08:23 PM
If you feed frozen foods, make sure you rinse it first to remove the juices.

Not to hijack a thread, but this was suggested to me when I had a serious cyano outbreak. It makes fairly good sense, but I'm wondering there is any qualitative data on this, evidence as to its necessity. Who was the first to cite this as a factor in nutrient surplus?

Quinn, not sure where I read it years ago, but as you know, all living cells contain phosphate and the "juice" from food is no different. The problem is nothing cosumes this juice( on any significant scale) and therefore is just surplus PO4 going into the system.

saltcreep
11-17-2003, 08:40 PM
Remember...it was a nitrate problem not phosphate. Try checking your source water. Often times, it will have elevated levels of nitrate if you aren't using RO/DI. If this is a problem, water changes sometimes aren't the cure. IMO, the problem is most likely the high bioload with possible overfeeding.

Quinn
11-17-2003, 08:45 PM
Quinn, not sure where I read it years ago, but as you know, all living cells contain phosphate and the "juice" from food is no different. The problem is nothing cosumes this juice( on any significant scale) and therefore is just surplus PO4 going into the system.

I guess I'm thinking that generally the juice is in fact water, although you may be correct in saying that there is a fairly large organic content. I wonder if corals have any use for any of this juice.

Aquattro
11-17-2003, 08:49 PM
Remember...it was a nitrate problem not phosphate. .
Right. And I bet there is as much nitrogen in those cells as phosphate. Just a good policy with frozen food. That being said, yes, I think it is the high bioload and introduced food.

dekay
11-17-2003, 08:58 PM
Before you guys start ripping each other's heads off, he also uses a cannister filter, which would make up part of the reason why he's getting high nitrates.

Ok, now you can fight, as long as i get front row seats. :evil:

Aquattro
11-17-2003, 09:09 PM
Before you guys start ripping each other's heads off

Can you give me a brief pointer on which members are fighting? I don't see it. :rolleyes:

dekay
11-17-2003, 09:13 PM
Can you give me a brief pointer on which members are fighting? I don't see it. :rolleyes:

Just kidding man, take it easy. :)

ed99
11-17-2003, 09:51 PM
I've also seen a strong correlation between rinsing (or not rinsing) frozen food and cyano outbreaks. I've been lazy over the last few weeks with the rinsing and the cyano is back.

Bioload sounds at least part of the problem with nitrates here. I had two perculas and two chromises over the summer in 92 gal and I had virtually no nitrates without bothering to do water changes. I've stocked up over the last couple of months (now up to 9 fish) and the skimmer is working way harder.