PDA

View Full Version : My DkH is consistently low

Eb0la11
07-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Hey guys,

so I've been recording my parameters for several months now and I seem to have come to the conclusion that my DkH is substantially lower than what I expect it to be just about every time.

Basically, I measure it, then use this caluclator (http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html) to determine how much baking soda I should put in to adjust it.

Now I do this in conjunction with my dry reef advantage calcium. I put the baking soda in first, then the calcium yet once I finish the full dose, my DkH is always lower than what I desired it to be.

I know this stuff can precipitate out but whats going on? How can I raise my DkH and keep it at like 170 ppm or I think thats like 9ish DkH? Is there a trick?

xtreme
07-16-2010, 11:11 PM
What is your dosing schedule like? It is best to dose daily to keep your levels stable, or better yet run dosing pumps that will dose multiple times a day for you automatically.

Eb0la11
07-17-2010, 04:12 PM
Hmmm, just a heads up Im out of town for a week with little to no internet so I might not respond again for a while.

My dosing schedule is more like weekly. I am working on setting up a dosing system, but havent figured it out quite yet. Hmmmm...

Do the controllers test water params constantly and ensure that a level never gets too high?

Coleus
07-17-2010, 04:21 PM
controllers does not test water params, you have to test it and adjust the dosing accordingly. Unless you set up a calcium reactor

lost_at_sea
07-19-2010, 07:17 PM
Check / dose your magnesium levels.

i'll bet your under 1200.