PDA

View Full Version : Recent ritteri pic

Delphinus
11-17-2003, 06:52 AM
Took this shot last week and I thought it didn't turn out too terrible..

http://www.canreef.com/photopost/data/506/92ritteri-med.jpg?6677

EmilyB
11-17-2003, 06:59 AM
:eek: Huge anemone...poor Half Pint..... :razz: :mrgreen:

Buccaneer
11-17-2003, 08:33 AM
Amazing ... simply amazing :cool: ... that is the nicest ritteri I have ever seen ... kudos Tony !

Cheers

LostMind
11-17-2003, 09:16 AM
wow! thats almost a species tank! :)

amazing

Delphinus
11-17-2003, 02:04 PM
Thanks for the comments guys!

It is a species tank :smile: at least it's trying to be.

There are a few softeys in there tagging along for the ride, plus a perc, tang, and red fairy wrasse. I've been trying to get a picture of my wrasse but my digital camera "how do I put it sucks." (Thanks for the great quote incoma!) I can take good 35mm pics and scan them in so that's maybe my next project (how do you get film processed again? Do I actually have to go to a store? :eek: )

Deb, the rockwork in the tank form an arch across the tank. So although it's not really clear in the picture, there is a large cave right under the anemone which HalfPint calls home. I think he doesn't mind the camoflage effect. He seems to like his supply of nori, that's for sure. When I put the wrasse in last week, he said emphatically "As long as you stay away from my nori, we'll get along jussssssst fine." :lol: PS. He's not so "Half" pint any longer he's full on approaching a full pint (or at least 3/4 pint). :biggrin:

Canadian Man
11-17-2003, 03:15 PM
I think for the people that don't know allready, it must be said that this is a 72g Bowfront tank. :eek: STUNNING Creature :cool:

AJ_77
11-17-2003, 03:30 PM
"Half Tank O' Ritt"

:eek:

props
11-17-2003, 07:46 PM
thats so nice
prolly looks a million times more in reals
wonder how much it weigh

dekay
11-17-2003, 08:30 PM
dang, that anenome must be 3 feet long if that's a 72g :eek: . your clown must be a pretty happy camper.

spikehs
11-17-2003, 09:34 PM
awsome looking anemone! Do you know if its still growing, or his it "maxed out" in size?

Delphinus
11-17-2003, 10:21 PM
In the picture he is probably about 24" from tentacle tip to tentacle tip, left to right. The tank is only 18" at the centre front-to-back so he does need to fold up a bit to fit. (I keep saying "he" .... I should clarify that I know he's a "he" because ... well maybe we shouldn't go there... He has spawned at least twice for me over the last year or two. :eek: )

His foot is about 12" in diameter. He closes up a little at night. He's only about 6" or 8" tall.

I hardly ever see my clownfish except for fleeting glimpses.

Sean, I'd estimate he grew from 4" or 5" to approx. 18" within about 6 months or so. Since then the growth rate has slowed some, but he is definitely still growing. There is a definite correlation between growth and how much he eats. He does eat a lot, he is fed mysis daily or every second day. I found that throttling back how much he is fed, in an effort to control the growth rate, is not a good idea if I want to keep him healthy.

I have had him since about April or May 2001, so about 2.5 years now. I consider myself exceptionally lucky ('luck is with the dumb' as the saying goes). But believe me every little hiccup he might have produces a very nervous panic-attack in me.

I almost lost him when I had three BTA's in the same tank with him and some weird chemical battle started happening. One BTA and one ritteri, no problem. One BTA split and two BTA's and one ritteri, still no problem. Another BTA split so three BTA's and one ritteri, ... and within a week he started to decline. Stopped opening and started shrinking. Wasn't an obvious water quality issue, wasn't an obvious lack of feeding ... went through a number of different things and finally for lack of results I pulled the BTA's out and put them in the other tank; and he almost instantly started opening again and with feeding mysis he started regaining his strength again. I took away from this two lessons: 1) diffuse competition between anemones may not be a myth after all (Of course one isolated incident proves nothing, but it made me really think about it), and 2) mysis is dang good stuff. I should of course maybe mention that at the time it was a (cough cough) 50 gallon tank and now when I think about it, that seems like a bad idea from any perspective. :redface:

Anyways thanks for all the comments! I'm glad I can be able to share him a little with everyone.

Mak
11-17-2003, 11:16 PM
NICE, VERY NICE!!! :cool: . It must look just amazing in real life :mrgreen: .

Reef_kid
11-18-2003, 05:24 AM
awsome picture!!
i have one about the same
ive had him 3 years now
i haven't seen one around in ages!!
he looks great
cheers dave

Delphinus
11-18-2003, 05:42 AM
Cool! :cool: Got a picture of it you can post? :biggrin:

sumpfinfishe
11-19-2003, 07:09 AM
Cool :cool:, Tony
That's one huge, healthy, did I say huge anenome!
And only just one perc to call it home, I think a whole clutch could live in that monster :mrgreen: