StirCrazy
07-16-2010, 12:08 AM
well completed my newest project yesterday and it is a total sucess

http://www.members.shaw.ca/s.l.s/solar/solarheater.jpg

Steve

lastlight
07-16-2010, 12:18 AM
Ok fine I'll bite. What is it?

I'm guessing some sort of heating or cooling loop? But nobody needs heat. So are you burying that thing?

nitrate reactor?

StirCrazy
07-16-2010, 12:24 AM
Ok fine I'll bite. What is it?

I'm guessing some sort of heating or cooling loop? But nobody needs heat. So are you burying that thing?

nitrate reactor?

actualy it is a heating loop. right now it is putting out 6000 btu/hour and is heating my swimming pool :mrgreen:

I was thinking that I have a cold basment and if I use led lights I will need to heat my tank so I figure this unit will be able to boil the water in my tank in about 3 hours :mrgreen: on my 8000 gal tank it heats it up 1 degree a day.

Steve

lastlight
07-16-2010, 12:52 AM
nice! is that 1/2" irrigation pipe?

StirCrazy
07-16-2010, 02:16 PM
nice! is that 1/2" irrigation pipe?

yup. got a 400 foot roll from andrew sherritt for about 50 bucks.

Steve

lastlight
07-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Is that the actual install location lol? I like the precise placement and in case of flooding your investment is protected :lol:

o.c.d.
07-16-2010, 03:22 PM
how big is your pool? In ground? This is interesting, I looked at a solar thermal system for my pool but it looked a little rinki dinky. Id be wondering the equation on the pool, length of tube to gallon of size of pool.

lastlight
07-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Let me get this straight...you HAVE a pool? And there's been no reefer pool parties?

PoonTang
07-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Brett is just looking for an excuse to put on his speedo. Be afraid...be very very afraid......

StirCrazy
07-16-2010, 08:02 PM
how big is your pool? In ground? This is interesting, I looked at a solar thermal system for my pool but it looked a little rinki dinky. Id be wondering the equation on the pool, length of tube to gallon of size of pool.

it is an above ground that is 19' dia by 52" deep. so 8000 gal.

the sizing I found is basicly gal/10 gives you the amount of feet you should need. then you can add from there. I have about 1/2 of what was recomended as I wanted to try it first and 400-500 feet is a good amount to make a coil using 8 foot 2x4s for the frame.

I calculated the initial BTU output at 6023/hr but that was with a flow rate of 1.2L/min. I niticed the inner 1/2 of the coil was still getting quite hot so there was waisted energy there, so yesterday I upped the flow by going to a mag 3 instead of a mag 2. now you can still feel a bit of temp difference but the inner tubes are warm instead of hot which means I am getting more heat into the water now, so I might be getting a little more power out of it.

Sence this test was sucessfull I am going to buy another 400 feet of tube and add another coil in parallel. If it didn't work I was just going to use the tube next spring for drip iragation for the garden :mrgreen:

Steve

StirCrazy
07-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Let me get this straight...you HAVE a pool? And there's been no reefer pool parties?

Damn just got it on the weekend :mrgreen: needed something to combat the excessive heat here.

Steve

lastlight
07-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Actually I meant that for OCD. He's local and I need a pool hangout connection!

Regarding the speedo...I'd fill one out thoroughly. Not in anyway that would impress lemme tell ya :neutral:

StirCrazy
07-17-2010, 12:02 AM
here is the reason for the pool purchase in the first place.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/s.l.s/temp.jpg

Steve

o.c.d.
07-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Yes a pool in Calgary not normal but neither are me and the wife, she wanted one real bad. I told her if she doesn't use it I make it into a shark tank.
Speedos are forbidden in or around the pool. I'll post these pics because I am proud of the stone path work and concrete I did last summer as well as the bbq I did this year. this being a DYI form I think I'm safe. Thanks for the info stircrazy

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/mudslingercor/izzCarly12.jpg

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/mudslingercor/izzCarly22.jpg

DiverDude
07-20-2010, 04:32 AM
Hey...*nice* work on the masonry for the 'Q station !!

You jest need a little add-on for a smoker and it's meat heaven.

Oh, and the pool is sweet too.:biggrin: