PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new Tank - advice requested

paddyob
07-15-2010, 06:21 PM
Hey,

I am going to be setting up a new tank.... 75-90 gallons.

I do not want to go sump as I am away all the time and dont want the headache of possible overflows and what not.

Can anyone recommend a good canister and why its good?

Also.... lighting... I am probably gonna go T5... any ideas or suggestions?

Patrick

dsaundry
07-15-2010, 06:24 PM
Canister filter I like is the Fx5, works great, Holds a lot of water and has good flow, and is easy to service. Although if a sump is set up properly it wont overflow with a power outage etc.

Wingin It
07-15-2010, 06:25 PM
i run a canister for now...until I get my sump up and running, but I run a Cascade and also have a Fluval and a Rena (just not all on the same systems). All of them work well, though I much prefer the fluval for ease of clean up and it doesn't leak when removing the hoses where as my Cascade does.

kien
07-15-2010, 06:26 PM
I can not recommend a canister but if you set up your tank and sump properly you can eliminate possible sump floods. Having a sump does not automatically mean you will have a greater chance of floods (again, if you build it right). If you plumb your canister wrong you can leak and flood :)

Just my 3 cents.

paddyob
07-15-2010, 06:26 PM
Canister filter I like is the Fx5, works great, Holds a lot of water and has good flow, and is easy to service. Although if a sump is set up properly it wont overflow with a power outage etc.

Yea... but having not really any experience with sumps.... this could be an issue... and again... my wife and I travel.... so I dont want to leave it to chance and have a friend stumble upon an overflow... if say I am in Jamaica or something ha ha!

Thanks for the input.

viperfish
07-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Without a sump you will most likely need a HOB skimmer. These skimmers increase the chance of flooding more than any sump would.

paddyob
07-15-2010, 07:51 PM
Without a sump you will most likely need a HOB skimmer. These skimmers increase the chance of flooding more than any sump would.

I run an HOB skimmer on my 20 and have never had that happen. Interesting. Have you had that happen?

I have not even heard of that happening??? How??

mark
07-15-2010, 10:31 PM
before the current tank had a sumpless 75g and the most annoying thing was the lack of sump when I was traveling as I could only go a few days then I was worrying about pumps pushing air due evaporation. Once the sump had more lee way (and now with a ATO no worries at all).

Properly done there's issues having a sump.

Leah
07-15-2010, 10:32 PM
Why even use a filter...I removed mine and have never been happier.

trilinearmipmap
07-16-2010, 12:31 AM
I would suggest do it right the first time, get a sump, get some advice re setting up the sump dimensions and overflow properly and there is no chance of water overflowing the sump or tank. If you go canister you will have elevated nitrates and you will get rid of it sooner or later. I also suggest getting as much used equipment as you can as you will save $$$$.

intarsiabox
07-16-2010, 01:33 AM
If you're worried about overflows in the sump you can always get a PVC check valve for your return line. This will prevent any back flows in the event of a power outage or just turning off the pump. Of course you can just measure how much water could siphon back into your sump and just make sure you have enough space in the sump to accomodate. BTW L"xW"xH"/231=gallons. I don't run a canister filter but I do use an Aquaclear filter with a sponge, carbon and Chemipur Elite in it. I wash out the sponge every week and it takes out a lot of particulates that the skimmer and LR don't take care of. I have no nitrates or any nuisance algae but I also have way too much live rock in the tank as well and have never missed a water change. A canister is more work to clean and if not cleaned very often nitrates can build up from the captured organic material as it is still in the water column until removed manually. Reactors may also be something to look at for carbon, etc.

mark
07-16-2010, 02:51 AM
I'd trust a properly sized sump and a return line positioned to minimize back flow or siphoning before a check valve that might not seat.

intarsiabox
07-16-2010, 03:12 AM
I'd trust a properly sized sump and a return line positioned to minimize back flow or siphoning before a check valve that might not seat.

I do both, but I'm paranoid!

tgoeujon
07-16-2010, 04:02 AM
ive always found the best way to avoid an overflow is to avoid hob skimmers, coralife to be specific lol. Really though i avoided the sump thing for the first couple years but once i finally went for it my life got so much easier, less water fluctuation (chemistry, temperature). it also gets rid of some mess from constantly topping up the display tank. and if you want a more open display tank you can store liverock in the sump.

bignose
07-16-2010, 04:03 AM
Paddy go with a sump it is so much better you have extra water volume and space to work with equipment. Build a large return chamber to deal with evaporation and if you want add a ATO. If you plan properly your sump won't overflow.

Red Fish Blue Fish
07-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Sump:) Canister filters (IMO) are not very efficient for saltwater. A good wet/dry or sump is better and cheaper in the long run. Canisters have a slow flow rate and calcium deposits destroy the impellers as they are not really made for saltwater or they would make a salt and freshwater canister. For saltwater you would need better seals. Again just my opinion :)

kien
07-16-2010, 04:53 PM
Clearly everyone wants the OP to go sump :lol: however, i'm pretty sure OP has set their mind on a canister :)

Having said that, I do have some friends who use canisters and they seem to like their Eheims. I myself used to have one, a 2217 that was rock solid and lasted like 6 years until I sold it. What I really like about my Eheim was the fact that it had huge support. Everywhere I went someone sold Eheim parts for it.