PDA

View Full Version : Building a light from a light advice

reefwars
07-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Tonight I'm going to strip down my 6' aquamedic metal halide, and turn it into a 3' fixture and build it into a canopy . I've never done this but do k ow some basic electrical from work, tonight I'm going tower what makes it tick and I plan two use one metal halide and two 3' actinic. The light is old and two of the three mh are busted where the bulbs are held In place.

Any tips or tricks or things to take caution of??

On their site(aquamedic) they say not to use in canopy because of ventilaion if I make plenty of ventilation is their any other reason they would "recommend" this??? Thanks:) sparks are gonna fly:)

Bloodasp
07-15-2010, 10:32 PM
They just put those cautions to prevent themselves from being sued when someone does something stupid. But if it is done right it should not pose any problem.

reefwars
07-16-2010, 04:14 AM
was a piece of cake easier than installing a plug in the wall, makes me kinda mad that theres so little to these lights. when i was done i taking it all apart i used one of the three metal halides and installed it into its own "rough canopy" to see if it works and it did.

now my next question is the actinic's that were with the light are 4x3'x39w can i get 18" 39w bulbs and can i use the same ballast and what not from my three footers to make a 18" t5-ho??????

hillegom
07-16-2010, 04:28 AM
Take the #s off of the ballast, input into google and see what comes up.
Should be info somewhere on this.