PDA

View Full Version : BRS Two Part Calcium and Alkalinity Solution

Kevotron
07-15-2010, 04:42 AM
Has anybody used this product ?
if so how accurate/reliable is it ?
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/calcium-alkalinity-magnesium/two-part-calcium-and-alkalinity-solution/two-part-calcium-and-alkalinity-total-package-large-1.html

reefermadness
07-15-2010, 05:01 AM
Works great...im sure thousands of reefers use it.

lastlight
07-15-2010, 05:08 AM
I do! Working perfectly for me. Stuff mixes crystal clear too. Def quality grade.

Kevotron
07-15-2010, 05:49 AM
i guess i am gonna get it haha
shipping is crazy $$ tho.
is BRS from the US ?

TheKid
07-15-2010, 06:06 AM
i guess i am gonna get it haha
shipping is crazy $$ tho.
is BRS from the US ?

Yes they are from the US but you can find places here and people on the board that will sell you the exact same chemicals for cheaper and you still follow they're calculator.

reefermadness
07-15-2010, 12:00 PM
The crystalline dihydrate calcium chloride is something I've never seen locally. They say its pharmaceutical grade. It mixes clearer then any other calcium chloride I've used. Most locals try splitting up bags of ice melt.

lastlight
07-15-2010, 03:03 PM
I doubt the stuff available locally is the same grade. BRS a while back also upgraded grades. My jugs of Ca, Alk, and Mg appear to be jugs of clean water. From talking to other reefers a lot of the other bulk stuff is not like this. Not saying that equates to quality but with my small tank I had no problem paying a little bit extra for BRS. It's apparent that my one batch is going to last longer than a year.

viperfish
07-15-2010, 07:39 PM
Aquarium Illusions in Edmonton carries BRS products.

Kevotron
07-16-2010, 11:40 PM
Really ?
I haven't seen any BRS products there...
maybe they replaced the sticker with something else :P

Lance
07-17-2010, 12:38 AM
I use the BRS products. They're great! I understand Oceanic Corals is carrying it now.

ALang
07-17-2010, 01:14 AM
Dang, Kevotron, I just put in an order, too, or I would have loved to share the shipping cost with you.
I haven't used BRS' chemicals but have read about it lots from Canreef. I had to buy some Seachem stuff recently. Just a little bottle of the Calcium (1.1lbs!!)was $19!! So I thought that this is WAY better way to go. BRS's stuff is about $2.50 or so a lb. So i just close my eyes when it comes to the S/H charges. If you buy a large enough batch, I guess it evens out (or even put you ahead of the cost) at the end.
I am not on Auto dosing, can't affort to buy the dosing unit, so I do it manually. I have NO IDEA as to how I am suppose to do this if ever I go on a holiday.
Lenny.

Kevotron
07-17-2010, 03:43 AM
Dang, Kevotron, I just put in an order, too, or I would have loved to share the shipping cost with you.
I haven't used BRS' chemicals but have read about it lots from Canreef. I had to buy some Seachem stuff recently. Just a little bottle of the Calcium (1.1lbs!!)was $19!! So I thought that this is WAY better way to go. BRS's stuff is about $2.50 or so a lb. So i just close my eyes when it comes to the S/H charges. If you buy a large enough batch, I guess it evens out (or even put you ahead of the cost) at the end.
I am not on Auto dosing, can't affort to buy the dosing unit, so I do it manually. I have NO IDEA as to how I am suppose to do this if ever I go on a holiday.
Lenny.

AWW DAMN IT ! lol ya we could of split the S/H cost !!!
as for if u go on vacation... if u goto those "science" stores theres one in Southgate mall they have lab equipment and maybe u can set up some sort of a titration unit that will drip into ur tank or sump ??

ALang
07-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Ahhh...You see...for a reef nut, notice I didn't say "geek", I am pretty much very low tech. I'd need someone to show me how to do that.
For what it's worth, I ordered the large pkg of recipe 1, and I am willing to split with you (except I would like to keep the dispensing pump and jugs). All the items as listed on BRS (1 Gal of each) we can split in half, if you will help pay for the other half of the S/H.
So next time we order, we maybe able to co-ordinate, if not with each other, then someone else on Canreef. 780-907-0054 if you're interested.
Lenny.

Kevotron
07-17-2010, 09:42 PM
How much would 1/2 Gallon last in my 120??
maybe we can place another order of 1Gallon each and save some S/H :P

ALang
07-18-2010, 12:03 AM
I really don't know. It depends on the levels of Cal, Alk, and Mag in your tank right now, and how much you need to raise it, and how often (as in how much/how quickly do your corals use up). Also some people will add some to their salt water prior to a water change if they have tested their brand of salt and find the levels lacking.
I've always used AragaMight when I used to keep just softies, and I never tested my levels until I started to keep some of the LPS and couldn't keep them alive for long. I was also using an old set of test kit as well, and gave myself false readings. So for the longest time, I never dose anything seriously. I am interested in trying some sps frags that I bought, so hense my order. I have a 133g mixed LPS ans SPS and a 90g mostly soft corals. So it is entirely up to you. I may need all of my 1 gal powder for all I know. Can't really say.

mr_alberta
07-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Marine Aquaria on the south side carries this stuff as well.