PDA

View Full Version : ID this giant, evil crab

likwid
07-14-2010, 07:04 PM
I have had my tank set up for almost 3 years now, and since day one there has been a hairy legged crab living in my live rock. After setting up a jar with an algae wafer inside of it, I finally caught him and he is massive!

His body is about 2 inches wide, with gray-ish with bright purple spots. He has light colored hairy legs and dark eyes/pinchers.

I have had several fish disappear without a trace in my tank, and I am wondering if he is the culprit. Anyways, check out the pics and let me know if you know what type of crab this is. I don't have a sump, so I will have to dispose of him some how if he is indeed evil. :twised:

lastlight
07-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Almost looks as if the evil guy has coraline growing on him! Never seen one with the purple before. A cool looking crab but likely:

evil > cool

Lance
07-14-2010, 07:16 PM
KILL IT :twised:

gobytron
07-14-2010, 07:18 PM
it going after the Algae wafer is probably a good sign....

What a sexy looking crab.

lastlight
07-14-2010, 07:23 PM
KILL IT :twised:

Maybe ship it to Lance if you're uneasy doing the evil deed. I'm sure he could drop a fan in with the poor little guy. :mrgreen:

reefmaster12345
07-14-2010, 07:46 PM
it is a emerald crab he is good but some time goes for corals

gobytron
07-14-2010, 08:18 PM

How can you tell?

DiverDude
07-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Pretty much all crabs have some evil in them. It comes out when they get hungry -and he's big enough to cause some damage, for sure.

Your call. No crabs at all is certainly the safest approach. I think they're interesting creatures and many people have them in their tanks -at least until they eat something they like more :surprise:

ElGuappo
07-14-2010, 09:13 PM

not sure its an emerald but it does look like some kind of mithrax crab.

likwid
07-14-2010, 09:24 PM
After doing some research, it definitely is a Mithrax Crab. However, due to his massive size, I am not taking any chances and just dropped him off at the LFS. Thanks for the help!

Milad
07-14-2010, 09:26 PM
Maybe ship it to Lance if you're uneasy doing the evil deed. I'm sure he could drop a fan in with the poor little guy. :mrgreen:

HAHAHAHAHA i laughed...

lastlight
07-14-2010, 09:38 PM
HAHAHAHAHA i laughed...

I know but I'm afraid Lance didn't. Lance wherever you are...I'm sympathetic to your plight but come on I HAD to.

Lance
07-14-2010, 10:22 PM
I know but I'm afraid Lance didn't. Lance wherever you are...I'm sympathetic to your plight but come on I HAD to.

Just got home. Sure, send the little sucker to me. I'll find someway to get rid of it: electrocution, death by skimmate or Beagle Chow. Never met a crab I liked; they are all evil!

Leah
07-14-2010, 11:30 PM

Ouch! :twised: That is hitting below the belt a little. But revenge is sweet or so I have been told. :redface:

Lance you're not going to take that... are you? :wink:

lastlight
07-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Lance and I have an unspoken agreement. I make tasteless comments and he forgives me. At least I hope :neutral:

Lance
07-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Ouch! :twised: That is hitting below the belt a little. But revenge is sweet or so I have been told. :redface:

Lance you're not going to take that... are you? :wink:

They can't get to me Leah. I never blow my cool; Sticks & Stones baby; like water off a duck's back; can't get my knickers in a knot; can't make me fly off the handle; can't ruffle my feathers; can't rock my boat.........
............Oh shut the frag up already!

lastlight
07-14-2010, 11:59 PM
Lance wears knickers!

Also...sorry OP =)