PDA

View Full Version : how to prevent a algae in salt fish tanK?

jhoepopoy
07-14-2010, 02:12 PM
hi guys

how get gid of green algae in my salt fish tank? :redface:
do i need a water change? how and when?
sorry i'm newbie in salt water!!!

pls give me an advice

Thanks!!

viperfish
07-14-2010, 03:17 PM
- Do not overfeed.
- Run a good skimmer (you don't have to pay mega bucks for a good skimmer)
- Lots of circulation inside the tank with as few dead spots as possible
- Make sure you don't have too much flow through the sump (if you have one)
- Some form of supplemental biological filtration helps such as a fuge or biopellets/reactor.
- If you are running lower Kelvin lights such as 10K or god forbid 6500K, do not run them too long. If you have Fiji Purple, get it out of there, they are the worst for algae growth.
- If you are running a filter sock, change it frequently. Same applies to HOB mechanical filters like the Aquaclear with foam media.
- Remove dead fish ASAP.
- Keep a good size clean up crew.

Water changes do very little for excess nutrients when done on a small scale and very large (50%) water changes are very hard on inhabitants. The best way to manage nutrients is not by water changes but by keeping a consistent daily cleaning regime.

jhoepopoy
07-14-2010, 04:25 PM
thanks for the info!!!

- Do not overfeed.
- Run a good skimmer (you don't have to pay mega bucks for a good skimmer)
- Lots of circulation inside the tank with as few dead spots as possible
- Make sure you don't have too much flow through the sump (if you have one)
- Some form of supplemental biological filtration helps such as a fuge or biopellets/reactor.
- If you are running lower Kelvin lights such as 10K or god forbid 6500K, do not run them too long. If you have Fiji Purple, get it out of there, they are the worst for algae growth.
- If you are running a filter sock, change it frequently. Same applies to HOB mechanical filters like the Aquaclear with foam media.
- Remove dead fish ASAP.
- Keep a good size clean up crew.

Water changes do very little for excess nutrients when done on a small scale and very large (50%) water changes are very hard on inhabitants. The best way to manage nutrients is not by water changes but by keeping a consistent daily cleaning regime.

jhoepopoy
07-14-2010, 04:31 PM
as of now i'm running 4bulbs T5 (2x24) do i need take out 2 bulbs? and i have a HOB CPR BAK PAK 2 protein skimmer!!

reefwars
07-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Like med said consistency is the key regular routines and light schedules try to learn and read as much about algae and on how your equipment works as possible. Their are different types of algae some good some bad , the bad stuff is alot easier to orevent then get rid of and the good stuff doesn't happen over night bu will in time:)

another thing to remember is f this is a fairly new system you'll probably deal with your share of algae over the next year don't get frstrated and ask ask ask , I'm sure the algae subject will never end people are always finding new ways to deal with things so knowlege is your best defence the rest are just small tasks:) cheers!!:)

reefwars
07-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Your lighting will depend on tank size and what you plan to keep for livestock:)

jhoepopoy
07-14-2010, 05:31 PM
well my tank is 29G!!!

toxic111
07-14-2010, 06:52 PM
I think we need some more info on your tank frist, size, how much sand, live rock, how long you have had it running, lighting size & type. Water params (Ca, Mg, nitrates, ammonia, etc)

i have crabs
07-14-2010, 06:55 PM
if your not using ro/di water now thats the best thing you can do

reefwars
07-14-2010, 06:58 PM
You'll have to include what livestock is in your tank or what you plan to have in there, if you want to raise coral done are going to demand stronger lighting and not so much if it's just fowlr ( fish only with live rock ) toucan get away with lower lighting

all in all you shouldn't have to remove any bulbs unless you dint like it or unless you want to raise corals and there are alot if coral that don't demand high lighting:)

include fixtures name size and what the bulbs are it should say right on them:)

likwid
07-14-2010, 07:10 PM
The easiest way to avoid getting algae is to not use tap water. Find a good RO/DI unit and make your own water.

jhoepopoy
07-14-2010, 08:26 PM
thanks guys for help!!!

jhoepopoy
07-14-2010, 08:33 PM
my tank is 29G w/ HOB CPR BAK PAK 2 protein skimmer , T5 4bulbs, 40pound sand, around 15 to 20 lbs liverock, two clown fish, 2 yellow damsel, 4 hermit crab, 1 cleaner shrimp and 2 snails my is tank is 4 weeks right now!!!

jhoepopoy
07-14-2010, 08:49 PM
here my picture!!

Megalodon
07-14-2010, 09:15 PM
my tank is 29G w/ HOB CPR BAK PAK 2 protein skimmer , T5 4bulbs, 40pound sand, around 15 to 20 lbs liverock, two clown fish, 2 yellow damsel, 4 hermit crab, 1 cleaner shrimp and 2 snails my is tank is 4 weeks right now!!!Was the liverock cured or uncured when you added it? You may need to check ammonia. If any is detectable you will want to do small water changes.

jhoepopoy
07-14-2010, 10:23 PM
the amonia was ok and liverock is ok too!!! no water change yet!!!
thanks!!

Was the liverock cured or uncured when you added it? You may need to check ammonia. If any is detectable you will want to do small water changes.

Jeff_
07-15-2010, 06:24 AM
IMO from your tank picture there isn't very much "bad" algae or very much algae at all with the exception of the regular diatoms, but do definitely get in a habit of doing water changes, either once a month or once every two weeks. I've been using tap water with prime for several years with little problems but it was for my seagrass which helped absorb most of the excess nutrients in the tap water, Using RO/DI will definitely help control the algae. How often do you feed, and what do you feed?

jhoepopoy
07-15-2010, 01:05 PM
i feed them twice a week a frozen food!!!

thanks

IMO from your tank picture there isn't very much "bad" algae or very much algae at all with the exception of the regular diatoms, but do definitely get in a habit of doing water changes, either once a month or once every two weeks. I've been using tap water with prime for several years with little problems but it was for my seagrass which helped absorb most of the excess nutrients in the tap water, Using RO/DI will definitely help control the algae. How often do you feed, and what do you feed?

viperfish
07-15-2010, 01:10 PM
i feed them twice a week a frozen food!!!

thanks

I feed daily. Twice a week is barely enough for most fish. Some fish such as Anthias have very short intestinal tracts and need to be fed two or three times a day. Smaller portions once a day would probably suffice for you, just be sure you are feeding the fish instead of the tank.

reefwars
07-15-2010, 01:30 PM
same here most of my fish are fed very small amounts everyday and i always try to give them a variety in food.if you want your fish to be healthy and have all the colour they can you need to feed them a variety of all the things they can get in the wild:)

krill ,mysis , brine, nori, flake and blood worms are my regular food and every now and then ill feed fresh seafood like shrimp or crab:)

Hangfire
07-15-2010, 01:31 PM
I've done some reading that suggest that feeding more often also lowers aggression in fish. Damsels can be aggressive depending on species. As medhatreefguy suggests more smaller feedings would be better for the fish.

jhoepopoy
07-15-2010, 03:14 PM
thank you guys for the Info!! i really appreciate it!!