PDA

View Full Version : too much flow??

delo978
07-12-2010, 03:12 AM
I'm running a nano koralia on the bottom backwall to push flow through the LR and a koralia 2 center left side facing a koralia 3 the other side to get convective flow in the center of the tank. My tank is a 38G bowfront.....you think that's too much or no? My zoo's are real happy but they love flow. I've got a few LPS I need to move to that tank and I'm not so sure they'll appreciate that amount of flow. What do you think? My in tank circulation is 40 times the volume and I know 30 times is optimal so is it really too much? Looking for thoughts on the matter.

Cheers

Jeff_
07-12-2010, 06:04 AM
Really depends on the LPS, IMO turn over rate is not really that important when determining the flow, its more so the direction of flow and intensity that counts. Ive had a few frogspawn tolerate higher flow while some hammers hate it even to the point of tissue loss within days. I find that they just don't really like direct flow so I would suggest putting them in a lower flow area first and moving them around if you notice they are not responding well. Hope that helps.

delo978
07-16-2010, 03:00 PM
Well I've moved my hammer and my Torch over to my 40 now and placed them in the sand between LR where they'd get low/moderate flow (or what I think is low or moderate flow) so hopefully I see some kind of reaction in a few days. If they're not quite happy what would be tell tale signs? I would say they wouldn't be happy with the flow as the rest of the tank is quite an upgrade from where they were previously.

Jeff_
07-17-2010, 07:55 PM
Give it a few days to let them adjust, but if they are not happy they will definitely let you know. keep an eye on retracted tissue and corals not opening fully but if they expand fully I wouldn't worry about it.