PDA

View Full Version : T5 bulb replacement

bignose
07-11-2010, 10:54 PM
Hi everyone I think I'm coming to the end of my bulbs life. My bulbs are approx. 8 months old. What are the signs when I need to get new bulbs and what are some brands of bulbs does everyone recommend? I currently have 2 giesemann aquablue+ and 4 ATI aquablue special.

Thanks

Nebthet
07-12-2010, 01:05 AM
Your current bulb choice is good. Some people like to add one fiji purple in their mix.
Most people also change their bulbs once a year.

A lot of people are switching to the ATI as they have one of the highest PAR ratings right now, with giesmanm being right behind them.

Some are trying the new KZ bulbs and they are getting really good reviews and apparently they have higher PAR then the ATI.

bignose
07-12-2010, 02:35 AM
There's a lot of mixed feelings about this. How long does everyone run their bulbs?

BlueTang<3
07-12-2010, 02:52 AM
I ran my 60" bulbs 6 months 12 hrs a day noticed a big difference visible light quickly then i started to get cayno bacteria swapped out and no more issues.

om6acw
07-12-2010, 03:53 AM
I was changing my actinics and fiji purples every 6 months and full spectrum one somewhere between 9-12 months. I know some people from Europe who change their T5 every 3 months and they have relay nice SPS tanks....

bignose
07-12-2010, 04:02 AM
I've noticed some algae dusting on my glass but thats all so far. On the other hand the algae in my overflow box is slowly going away. Not sure what that means.