PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on clown tang in 180?

Milad
07-10-2010, 03:33 PM
So i was thinking of picking up a clown tang (its one of my tangs on my list). Ive already have a yellow, mimic and a foxface in the tank and the clown wont be the last tang to be added. thoughts?

I still want to get a powder blue, orange shoulder, naso and a purple.

kien
07-10-2010, 04:11 PM
Clown tangs are actually very difficult to keep. Your best chance of success is to find one that has already been established, perhaps from a previous reefer. They are beautiful fish yet you will notice that there are very few people who have one and there is a very good reason for that. Now, I'm not saying it is impossible, just very difficult. Extra care and attention will be needed if you attempt one, especially if you already have tangs who will likely harass him. This will certainly spell his demise.

The same goes for the powder blue tang actually. Neither of which are typically recommended for "new hobbyists".

xtreme
07-10-2010, 04:23 PM
As Kien mentioned they are a tricky fish to keep alive long term. If you do end up getting one to stay healthy in your tank I think you will have a very hard time adding a powder blue and orange shoulder once the clown is established. Acanthurus tangs generally do not get along very well. I don't think your tank is big enough for 3 acanthurus tangs or 7 tangs in total. I have 6 tangs in my 280 and I already foresee them outgrowing the tank down the road. I hate to sound like the TP, but IMO I don't think your tang list will work.

fishoholic
07-10-2010, 04:25 PM
as kien mentioned they are a tricky fish to keep alive long term. If you do end up getting one to stay healthy in your tank i think you will have a very hard time adding a powder blue and orange shoulder once the clown is established. Acanthurus tangs generally do not get along very well. I don't think your tank is big enough for 3 acanthurus tangs or 7 tangs in total. I have 6 tangs in my 280 and i already foresee them outgrowing the tank down the road. I hate to sound like the tp, but imo i don't think your tang list will work.

+1

naesco
07-10-2010, 04:58 PM
I would add my experience and advise you not to for the same reasons.

I would also really consider changing your wish to add a powder blue to a powder brown. Powder blue are problematic. They do well for a while get sick for no apparent reason, and end up taking a couple of their tankmates with them.

I had a orange shoulder. It got big pretty fast, became a bully as many tangs do but its colour became rather drab as it got older.

Have you reviewed wetwebmedia.com on tanks.? They are pretty right on.

no_bs
07-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Heed these warnings, you want to keep things as simple as posible till you get a hang of SW. That way if something goes wrong your not disapointed. You are green at SW, there are so many things you have not encountered yet. You have only had your tank up for a few months now, IMO i would hold off for a while and let your tank stabilize.

Milad
07-10-2010, 05:51 PM
well here is what my wish list was for tangs
yellow
mimic
purple
orange shoulder
clown
naso
powder blue

so how should i be changing this?

remove powder blue, clown and orange shoulder from my list and just get a purple and naso?

I really want a good group of tangs with lots of color. suggestions welcome!

Zoaelite
07-10-2010, 06:41 PM
In my 170g I have 6 tangs;
1 Purple Tang
1 Yellow Tang
1 2 Spot Bristletooth Tang
1 Chocolate Mimic Tang
1 Lemon Peel Mimic Tang
1 Orange socket Tang (Acan auranticavus)

They all get along very well, I think a big key to that is having an automatic feeder and a VERY large amount of live rock. I added them in the following order:

1. Orange Socket
2. Yellow Tang
2. 2 Spot Bristle
2. Chocolate Mimic
3.Yellow Mimic
4. Purple (The biggest)

I won't be adding any more until I upgrade my tank size. As stated I would stay away from the Clown, powder blue, and possibly the naso. How full is the 180 as far as liverock and coral goes?
Levi

Milad
07-10-2010, 07:06 PM
well its a new 180 and there is tons of live rock in it. im slowly removing liverock from display because i think there is to much live rock

currently there is only about 16 fish in the tank, mainly clowns, wrasses, gobies

probably about 16-20 pieces of coral
mainly zoas but couple sps.

i just like the fact that my chocolate mimic, foxface, and yellow all hang out together. they cruise the tank in a pack and eat algea all day. I want to add more to their crusin pack.

I do have automatic feeder and it feeds 4 times a day.

Zoaelite
07-10-2010, 07:27 PM
well its a new 180 and there is tons of live rock in it. im slowly removing liverock from display because i think there is to much live rock

currently there is only about 16 fish in the tank, mainly clowns, wrasses, gobies

probably about 16-20 pieces of coral
mainly zoas but couple sps.

i just like the fact that my chocolate mimic, foxface, and yellow all hang out together. they cruise the tank in a pack and eat algea all day. I want to add more to their crusin pack.

I do have automatic feeder and it feeds 4 times a day.

Yes it's fun to watch as they are all different species but my tangs do it too. Watch out if you are thinking of keeping zoas and tangs together, many species of tangs are known to munch on softies.

Milad
07-11-2010, 12:07 AM
ok here is my revised wish list (even though i really want either a clown or sohal but im gonna listen to you guys)

Currently have:
Chocolate mimic
Yellow

Want to buy:
Powder brown
Sailfin
Purple

thoughts and suggestions?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-11-2010, 12:34 AM
The purple will likely fight with the yellow (same body shape). On the plus side, since your yellow is already in the tank, and the purplbe is usually more aggressive, that could balance out. Probably better than adding a YT to a PT. However, be forewarned that adding tangs is a hit or miss scenario and be prepared to try to separate them if the fighting gets too bad.