PDA

View Full Version : PC VS MH

TommDool
11-16-2003, 07:44 AM
A LFS guy told me MH is the past, and everyone is switching PC lighting. Because with the same equal watts you get the same effects, but with a way lower cost, as PC say they are 55, 95 or what ever but only draw a small amount of that rating.

My question is will 400w of PC compare to 400w of MH for penitration of deeper tanks, and colour?

Are people (like your selfs) switching to these?
or is he just tring to sell me something he has?

any thoughts, Thanks

EmilyB
11-16-2003, 07:47 AM
Are people (like your selfs) switching to these?
or is he just tring to sell me something he has?

any thoughts, Thanks

No, and yes.

I don't think anyone has ever switched back from MH to PC.

Aquattro
11-16-2003, 08:06 AM
I have to agree with Em. While PC lighting may have it's place(and I'm not sure where that is), I certainly wouldn't trade down to PC from MH!! That's just plain crazy talk!!

kris
11-16-2003, 08:09 AM
I had 55w PCs... They where fine on my 33, I supplemented them with a NO actinic.... then i went to 175w MH, I and the corals liked it a lot more... but now I’m on my way to 10,000k 250w HQI PFO ballast.

Food for thought how far does what type of light penetrate the water... and at that, how quickly dose the useful energy deplete...

Cheers!

Son Of Skyline
11-16-2003, 08:58 AM
Not sure where he got that idea from. Maybe a couple of his customers switched so now he thinks it's a trend.

martym
11-16-2003, 01:35 PM
I just put PC's on my 55g. The only problem so far is that I don't like the 50/50 bulbs from Coralife. The package came with 4x65 50/50. I'm going to get a couple of 10,000. Looking at my tank and the few I have seen with MH there is no real comparisin. MH is much chrisper. Maybe that would change with new 10,000 bulbs. This is just my 2 cents worth.

StirCrazy
11-16-2003, 03:48 PM
Because with the same equal watts you get the same effects, but with a way lower cost, as PC say they are 55, 95 or what ever but only draw a small amount of that rating.

My question is will 400w of PC compare to 400w of MH for penitration of deeper tanks, and colour?

any thoughts, Thanks

Yes he is trying to sell you something he has, and no they are definatly not equal.

as for power consumption that is not totaly true either 400 watts of NO, or VHO, or MH all take a min imum of 400 watts then you have to add on the amount the ballast consumes and disapates as heat. this is higher on a magnetinc MH ballast than the other two but not a great amount. for example my 250 watt HQI ballast consume a average of 291 watts whare my 247 watts of PC consume 268 watts so not realy much difference to speak of.

As for penatration I have tested a 10000K 96 watt PC against a 175 watt MH and a 250 watt MH and I can tell you the PAR at a depth of 12" from a PC was 1/2 that of the 175MH and 1/6 of what my 250 puts out.

for tank color, well this is a debatible area to me but I have found now that I prefer the color from a "GOOD" MH over PC's the major difference is the PC are a flat light and light everything fairly evenly where the MH are a dynamic light and cause large contrasting areas as well as make everything seam to ripple from reflections caused by surface movement, this is a very interesting effect in its self.

anyways I hope this is kinda the info you are looking for and I hope it helps.

Steve

Bob I
11-16-2003, 04:41 PM
I have to agree with Em. While PC lighting may have it's place(and I'm not sure where that is), I certainly wouldn't trade down to PC from MH!! That's just plain crazy talk!!

I am that crazy. I went from MH to PC lighting exclusively, but I need to temper that statement with an explanation. I had one 175W MH pendant over my 50. The problem was that the 50 is only 18 inches deep, and with the sandbed I am down to 14 inches. That configuration with the center brace did not allow the light from the pendant to cover the whole tank. In addition my last MH was that POS Coralife pendant which ramped down before it shut off. The bulb was horrible to say the least.
So rather than trying to find a two bulb fixture I would have needed for proper lighting, and the fact that I only have softies, zoos, and LPS corals, I bought the 2x96W Coraliife Aqualight. I soon replaced the Coralife Actinic with a Custom Sea Life Ultra actinic, which is a superior light..
So all in all Brad, Deb, and Steve, I am crazy. I am crazy but happy, and perhaps if I can find the right fixture I will go back to MH, but for now I am committed to what I have, :eek: :rolleyes: :mrgreen:

TommDool
11-16-2003, 07:05 PM
WOW! Thanks guys for all your responces. I think I will just go with MH for my tank.

I am planning on setting up a grow out system for zoos, and some other softies as well as live rock. The system is only going to be about 6" deep, do you think 400wMH will be to much, and will PC do good for this setup?

Thanks Guys

Tomm

Aquattro
11-16-2003, 07:16 PM
The system is only going to be about 6" deep, do you think 400wMH will be to much,

Ahh, ya! You'll cook everything. I thought you were making a tank.

TommDool
11-16-2003, 10:35 PM
The system is only going to be about 6" deep, do you think 400wMH will be to much,

Ahh, ya! You'll cook everything. I thought you were making a tank.

Both actually. I will probley use the PC for the grow out. and the 400w MH for a 120g tank. I was really inquiring about my tank lighting

Aquattro
11-16-2003, 10:49 PM
Oh. The 400MH will be good for your 120g(we're talking 2ft deep, right?) but will not be good for 6" zoo growout tray unless you leave a lot of room between zoos and bulbs.

TommDool
11-17-2003, 02:23 AM
Oh. The 400MH will be good for your 120g(we're talking 2ft deep, right?) but will not be good for 6" zoo growout tray unless you leave a lot of room between zoos and bulbs.

Ya thats what a figured. THanks

I was just wondering if I should use PC on my tank or MH. Cost of Hydro is what I am worried about, and thought PC would ease it a little. But then again I want a good looking tank too.

Aquattro
11-17-2003, 02:37 AM
Really, the cost of hydro here is minimal. The difference betwee PC an MH won't make much difference at all to your monthly bill. I bet you'd save more by switching to PC for your household lighting. Oh, and use the power saving feature of your monitor :razz: