PDA

View Full Version : Well that sucked.

tony_3a
07-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Well i came home from camping for a night and the tank is 85.5 degrees and my new naso tang is laying on the bottom of the tank barley alive. He was not eating very well and had ich about 2 weeks ago that was just disappearing so i think it was a combination of the 3, heat, starvation, ich. So me and paul (thanks again) decided i should put him out of his misery, that was tough but i did it! It will teach me to buy fish before i see them eat anything other than the plants in the tank.

Man this hobby is tough.

tony.

TheKid
07-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Sorry for that Tony, the farthest ive seen my tank get up to is 82.9:redface:

dsaundry
07-09-2010, 11:38 PM
With the heat wave, what are you doing to cool the tank down, you will lose more if it stays too hot.

tony_3a
07-09-2010, 11:45 PM
I got some bags of ice to float in the sump, Today i just got one of thoes floor standing ac units, i also just got a 3900 quote to put ac in my house lol. All the other fish seem completely fine. Also i have a smaller window ac unit at the wifes parents house so im going to pick that up today and put that on, that should be enough, Oh also im going to pick up a fan to aim it at the sump.

The fan on my lighting unit just died so i gotta get a new one for that as well.

bvlester
07-10-2010, 05:31 AM
I have a new Naso but he is QTed in my rock tank 33g way better than a 10g and there is a lot of hiding places he didn't eat much the first couple days but he now eats every thing he can find or is fed. He never did develop ICK which is good he is in the 33g for another week yet. QT everything and feed garlic with every meal as it is a stimulant if nothing else, there are people that don't think garlic is good to feed to fish but every fish have eats garlic soaked anything. I do believe it also boosts their immune system I also use selcon. None of my tank have gone over 80 yet I have not even turned on the air conditioner yet.
Bill

Madreefer
07-11-2010, 03:16 AM
I turn off my ATO and take an icecream pail off the tank water out and freeze it. Than put the big chunk of ice in your sump and let it thaw out. Keep doing that and it helps a bit. Have'nt had to do that since I put my sump in the basement though.

dsaundry
07-11-2010, 03:34 AM
We had central a/c put in a few years back, one of the best investments I made. When we do get a heat wave, both the wife and I sleep better and the tanks don't overheat.

tony_3a
07-11-2010, 04:34 AM
ok well i just got home from work and it was another hot day in abby, the ac on the main floor helped a lot, tank was at 82 when i got home, i think if i get a fan on the sump and get the fan for the lights working that will do the trick. I was stupid to think that my tank wouldnt get as hot as it did for some reason, and lost my favourite fish but i guess live and learn.