PDA

View Full Version : aptasia and majano control - i give up

tgoeujon
07-09-2010, 01:29 AM
ok i give up, i need advice what fish will eat the pest anemones. majano anemones are the majority problem and i know most fish that will eat them arent particularly reefsafe but my tank is so overrun with them that something needs to happen. any suggestions are appreciated thanks.

globaldesigns
07-09-2010, 01:42 AM
IMO, even critters or fish are not a sure fire thing.

Best bet is to go to the local drug store and buy some syringes, then get some kalk powder. you mix up some RO water with powder, put in syringe and inject each. Usually will kill them in one shot.

I use this method with aptaisa, mushrooms and things I can't easily get out.

Good Luck!

reefwars
07-09-2010, 01:47 AM
You'd think in today's world there'd be a laser for that :)

i have crabs
07-09-2010, 02:01 AM
i got a raccoon butterfly that worked great, once all the aptasia was gone hes started picking at some zoos and button polyps but nothing major

Aquattro
07-09-2010, 02:34 AM
I've got a filefish that cleaned my tank in less than a month. Now it eats mysis...

reefwars
07-09-2010, 02:42 AM
I've got a filefish too seems like he does a good job there's none showing and I've seen him pick at it but I put a piece in a small rank popped right back out.:)

Megalodon
07-09-2010, 02:45 AM
ok i give up, i need advice what fish will eat the pest anemones. majano anemones are the majority problem and i know most fish that will eat them arent particularly reefsafe but my tank is so overrun with them that something needs to happen. any suggestions are appreciated thanks.I have a healthy and hungry threadfin butterfly for sale. He will most certainly eat your pests. He will eat all the pests before entirely destroying your reef, in fact. I'm in Surrey though. And you'd have to find a good home for him once he's done his work. PM me if interested.

http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=64981

tgoeujon
07-09-2010, 02:46 AM
has anybody got experience with majanos and filefish? or is it just aptasia they go for?

Aquattro
07-09-2010, 03:39 AM
has anybody got experience with majanos and filefish? or is it just aptasia they go for?

As far as I know, only aptaisia. I have several other zoo type critters that came on my rock, and they're still there. Doesn't touch my LPS either.

reefwars
07-09-2010, 05:18 AM
Filefish in general aren't considered reefsafe I don't think, i'm pretty sure it's just the matted filefish that eats it and they do nip at other corals mine nips and gorgs ,zoa's and my brains but if I keep it fed with mysis he's good and he's gettin better I think in time he won't touch anything. Can't say for sure he's devouring the aiptasia but o know as soon as he was added it dissappeared . If you get one look into if it has to be a matted or not and their very fun fish to watch very slow and very very ugly but beautiful at the same time:)

tgoeujon
07-09-2010, 05:35 AM
ok so i can try the filefish for the aptasia but still no suggestion for majanos?

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-09-2010, 08:47 AM
I found Copperbands to be good at eating pest anemones. Once it wipes out your aiptasia & majanos, though, you'll have to convert it over to frozen mysis or something similar. You can also use fresh market clams for butterflyfish food.

TheKid
07-09-2010, 02:36 PM
For me I bought some syringes with needles from a pharmacy and inject the anemones with lemon juice and works 80% of the time

daniella3d
07-09-2010, 03:23 PM
well that all depend on the value of your zoanthids. not a fish to have if you have 50$ per polyp purple hornet like I do and some other rare zoa. Plus they grow so slowly.

i got a raccoon butterfly that worked great, once all the aptasia was gone hes started picking at some zoos and button polyps but nothing major

monocus
07-10-2010, 02:18 AM
try injecting the aptasia with lemon juice using a hypo from the drug store(only about 10 a day) for me i stick with the berghia-reef safe and they get into the cracks where other fish can't go

Llamarama
07-10-2010, 06:17 AM
<3 my matted leatherjacket filefish...he's so cute and reminds me of a unicorn :) plus he devours pest anemones and loves brine and mysis

dreef
07-10-2010, 04:04 PM
I agree totally about using a matted filefish,they will eat all your pests.I picked one up from mindy,she thought maybe he liked her zoas.I am sps dominate so no worrys,first fish i ever named :) he's so ugly he's cute,and doesn't bother anything else.Here's "frank" the filefish he even eats nori with the tangs ????

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a79/stock_1/DSC00413.jpg

Zoaelite
07-10-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm tagging along as it seems that every time I go out and buy needles they result in one pest turning into 100's. I usually hit them with a Kalk paste and let them sit for 15 mins, they disappear for a day or two then come back full strength.

Should I be using burning hot Kalk?

Madreefer
07-11-2010, 03:12 AM
Should I be using burning hot Kalk?

I tried that and it and not a noticeable difference cold or scorching. Some guys are building zappers and frying them is supposed to work.

Polscot
07-11-2010, 03:00 PM
i had a minor problem of the two types, if u go down to ocean city they have the real type of peppermint shrimp, i bought 2 and they seem to have done the trick there are none left, as a back up there a product called "joe's juice" it is for the removal of atap and works great

hope this helped