PDA

View Full Version : Heat Wave

Tom R
07-08-2010, 09:45 PM
How is your tank doing with the warm weather upon us?

I have activated my CHILLER and yesterday had no problem holding the temp in the tank to 83.

The weather is finally getting to be a lot more like the summer we have been waiting for.

It is now time to review your hot weather plan.

Tom R

Lance
07-08-2010, 09:58 PM
With air conditioning and fans on controllers the large tank maxed out at 81.4 and the other tank at 81.2 yesterday.

TheKid
07-08-2010, 10:00 PM
What is too warm for a tank??

Milad
07-08-2010, 10:03 PM
why 83? isnt that really hot? mine is 79 right now
You can watch mine here: http://www.reeftronics.net/milad/apex-history
I match it with new zeland water temp seasonally so you should see a trend going up a bit but its usually within a .5 of what its suppose to be.

no_bs
07-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Lucky for us our basement never gets above 80, tank never gets above 79.

Ron99
07-08-2010, 10:09 PM
So far so good with both tanks right around 80 degrees. Having the one in the basement helps and both are LED lit so that helps too.

marie
07-08-2010, 10:35 PM
Tank reached it's usual 82 yesterday but I expect it will go to 84 today. Lights get shut off if it goes above 86 :biggrin:

reefwars
07-08-2010, 10:41 PM
I swaped out the kitchen light with a ceilng fan was hittin 83 now 80 maybe warmer today

whatcaneyedo
07-08-2010, 10:42 PM
Mine got to 81ºF yesterday and I expect that is where it will peak again today. A single high velocity fan cools it but if it gets too warm the controller will shut off the lights before it climbs any higher.

Megalodon
07-08-2010, 10:53 PM
I have the air conditioner on although it's struggling to keep my apartment below 77F.

Right now my tank is 82.5. I have another air conditioner I'm thinking of setting up.

Veng68
07-08-2010, 11:04 PM
Upstairs is pretty knarly 90F

Lucky the basement is only 72F :)

Cheers,
Aquaman

zum14
07-08-2010, 11:56 PM
I was floating ice in baggies in mine yesterday when the alarms went off at 84 but killed the lights today and cranked the ac so shouldnt be near there, also got the wife on the lookout (was 80* at lunch). Today looks like the worst for us here.

mike31154
07-09-2010, 12:20 AM
Arr, I have 3 thermometers monitoring tank temp. All in Celsius!! Well, maybe not, the stick on job has both scales and I could switch the two digitals to F, but I'm accustomed to Celsius. Anyhow, last year I used to get concerned if the water got up to 27. Today one digital reads 26.9, the other 26.7. The stick on seems to be favouring 28. I'll run a portable air conditioner within the next few days since room temp will surely continue to climb with mid 30s forecast right through until next week. I might also rig up a couple of fans to blow across the water surface, that worked very well last summer. Good to hear some folks reporting that they've allowed their temps into the 86 F (30 C) range before taking action, gives me some margin for error. Looking at the tank right now, the inhabitants seem quite comfy, showing no stress whatsoever at close to 27 C, or 28 if I believe the stick on. I reckon the stick on is somewhat affected by the air temp since it's on the outside of the glass.

Greenmaster
07-09-2010, 12:21 AM
I'm not setting mine up till September so I can worry about it next year... GL everyone.

burrows14
07-09-2010, 12:35 AM
81.3 for me today. My MH's shut off at 81.5 so I have a couple 2L of RO ice in the sump just to keep it near the 79.5 I run normally. Tommorow I will use a fan on my sump and see how that works out

VFX
07-09-2010, 12:40 AM
I'm old school... mine hit 27.2°C

SAMSHUNG
07-09-2010, 12:42 AM
My temp has creeped up to 82 over the past 2-3 days and I was all nervous...until I read that many reefers are going through the same scenario. Of course this doesn't mean that I should keep it that high but it's comforting knowing I'm not alone. Couldn't find any portable AC's in any of the HD's in the Lower Mainland (looks like this thread is mostly ppl from the GVRD). May end up utilizing a few fans or ice packs if the temps continue to climb. Do people generally unplug their heaters as well in these conditions?

Wayne
07-09-2010, 12:43 AM
My tank was sitting at 82 for the last few days, today its pretty warm though not sure what I am going to come home too...

christyf5
07-09-2010, 12:54 AM
Tank is at 79.4 thanks to our heat pump. Can't wait to see the hydro bill :rolleyes: :razz:

Lance
07-09-2010, 01:02 AM
Anybody who is using those Wal Mart fans be careful they don't come apart and fall in your tank/sump, like mine did.

This type:
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo151/lancefishtank/tank%20june/IMG_2043.jpg

SAMSHUNG
07-09-2010, 01:37 AM
Anybody who is using those Wal Mart fans be careful they don't come apart and fall in your tank/sump, like mine did.

This type:

Has this been chronicled on these forums? Sounds like a thread worthy of reading. (adding your experience to the mile-long list of reasons not to shop at :EVIL: Wal Mart)

banditpowdercoat
07-09-2010, 01:38 AM
Mines 84 right now, the wife just told me.... Poor fishies. damn Halides

globaldesigns
07-09-2010, 01:40 AM
With a HRV and 4 tonne air conditioning system in the house, the tank has no worries.

I am also happy, boy it was hot today.

VFX
07-09-2010, 01:41 AM
Anybody who is using those Wal Mart fans be careful they don't come apart and fall in your tank/sump, like mine did.]

Don't blame Walmart. I have 2 of these exact same fans. One from HD & one from Superstore.

Lance
07-09-2010, 01:44 AM
Don't blame Walmart. I have 2 of these exact same fans. One from HD & one from Superstore.

Ok. :biggrin: Wherever you got them from, be careful!

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-09-2010, 01:49 AM
I switched to a reverse photoperiod a couple nights ago so my MH are NOT on during the heat of day. Along with a 12,000 btu portable AC unit, its been very nice temperature wise in my groundfloor suite. It's usually 5-10 degrees (F) cooler down here than the upstairs suite, which is why I'm never moving up:wink:

Aquattro
07-09-2010, 02:02 AM
Mine is sitting at 86 right now, think I might turn the lights off :)

TheKid
07-09-2010, 02:22 AM
How wArm is too warm for a reef tank mine is at 82.2F

fkshiu
07-09-2010, 02:27 AM
Trouble zone begins at the mid-80s.

Very glad I've got a basement tank. So far the max temperature has hovered around 80F with a fan across the sump (knock on wood).

PoonTang
07-09-2010, 02:30 AM
I went to a early photo period today. 7 to 3 it seemed to help, topped out at 81 today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veng68
07-09-2010, 02:49 AM
I switched to a reverse photoperiod a couple nights ago so my MH are NOT on during the heat of day. Along with a 12,000 btu portable AC unit, its been very nice temperature wise in my groundfloor suite. It's usually 5-10 degrees (F) cooler down here than the upstairs suite, which is why I'm never moving up:wink:

How about the fact that you have eleventy billion gallons of water in your ground floor unit ;)

Move that upstairs and the people downstairs will have a nice saltwater shower someday :)

Cheers,
Vic

Tom R
07-09-2010, 03:22 AM
The point is, do you have a plan?

It is easier to try and control the heat build up on the way up than to get to that 85 or higher and have to quickly bring it down.

I keep my temp at 80 to 81 and my MH will add about .5 each day if nothing is done to control it. I have my Chiller come on at 83 and my lights turn off at 84.

My biggest problem is that the Chiller is not vented to the outside so when it comes on it increases the heat in the fish room which in turn increases the water temp.

Tom R

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-09-2010, 03:27 AM
That's why I love my AC unit. It vents hot air outside (not an option for you) and keeps me (and the tanks) cool.:lol:

And Vic, it's 750g at present (soon to rise to 850 gallons total water volume with the next upgrade):wink: NOT eleventy billion gallons:surprise:

ongquang21
07-09-2010, 03:29 AM
It is inside the skimmer where temperatures of air and tank's water is exchanged almost 100%.
I made 2 air tubes, the first one is from inside my ballast (for winter) and the other is through fridge door's sealer (for Summer). Both of them are leading to my skimmer.
I connect my skimmer air intake tube to the second one on Wed. early morning and my tank is among 79-80 k.
This is my general idea. To achieve the way you want, you have to figure out in detail such as time to connect and disconnect, air pump, timer...

hopefully it helps

Don

Tom R
07-09-2010, 03:35 AM
Vic, it's 750g at present (soon to rise to 850 gallons total water volume with the next upgrade):wink: NOT eleventy billion gallons:surprise:

There is still time, well maybe not eleventy billion but for sure tenilty billion.

Just think if the Vancouver Parks board ever put the Aquarium up for sale Anthony would buy it and quickly make it his home.

Tom R

Veng68
07-09-2010, 03:48 AM
There is still time, well maybe not eleventy billion but for sure tenilty billion.

Just think if the Vancouver Parks board ever put the Aquarium up for sale Anthony would buy it and quickly make it his home.

Tom R

I think he would try to frag it and sell one half and keep the other......... and still make a profit ;)

Cheers,
Vic

Veng68
07-09-2010, 03:49 AM
http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/deltec-eco-cooler-large

This looks interesting.

Cheers,
Vic

Greenmaster
07-09-2010, 04:13 AM
http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/deltec-eco-cooler-large (http://www.theaquariumsolution.com/deltec-eco-cooler-large)

This looks interesting.

Cheers,
Vic

Looks like it will cool well, It's the same as running fans over your tank or having water run over a sheet with a fan blowing on it. But it will cause a lot of water evaporation so you would want to make sure that you have a good auto top-up system as well. (it's the "swamp cooler" style of cooling)

SeaHorse_Fanatic
07-09-2010, 04:15 AM
Great, if you have several thousand dollars to spare for cooling.

Nebthet
07-09-2010, 04:20 AM
When I came home on Tues morning after being away for two days, my A/C was turned off. Power went out sometime over the two days and went it came back on, the a/c didn't. So I ran an extension cord and plugged it into my range which is on an independant circuit than the other apartments in this house, and turned it on. Then it was lights out, topping up extra water for evaporation, adding a fan to the back of the tank on top of the AC70 filter and hanging down blowing directly onto the water, and unplugging the heater. After 6 hours or so, the tank was down to 82 degrees.
One sps rtn'd, two began bleaching, the rest were not happy. GSP and Duncans were very unhappy. Zoas were closing up, new purple tippled elegance was really unhappy and restracted.

Now today, tank is at 80 degrees. GSP and Duncans are coming back out. New purple-tipped elegance is much happier, than it was before the heat, sps polyps coming out again. Except for the one, which I lost. There may be a second one, but that will depend on whether or not the polyps recover. Zoas are also out again.

Greenmaster
07-09-2010, 04:20 AM
Great, if you have several thousand dollars to spare for cooling.
I agree you are better off to go to Wal~Mart and buy a $300-$500 window AC unit.

Greenmaster
07-09-2010, 04:23 AM
When I came home on Tues morning after being away for two days, my A/C was turned off. Power went out sometime over the two days and went it came back on, the a/c didn't. So I ran an extension cord and plugged it into my range which is on an independant circuit than the other apartments in this house, and turned it on. Then it was lights out, topping up extra water for evaporation, adding a fan to the back of the tank on top of the AC70 filter and hanging down blowing directly onto the water, and unplugging the heater. After 6 hours or so, the tank was down to 82 degrees.
One sps rtn'd, two began bleaching, the rest were not happy. GSP and Duncans were very unhappy. Zoas were closing up, new purple tippled elegance was really unhappy and restracted.

Now today, tank is at 80 degrees. GSP and Duncans are coming back out. New purple-tipped elegance is much happier, than it was before the heat, sps polyps coming out again. Except for the one, which I lost. There may be a second one, but that will depend on whether or not the polyps recover. Zoas are also out again.

Another reason to go with a UPS of some sort... I hear all the time of chillers not coming on or not shutting off after a power fluctuation.

Nebthet
07-09-2010, 04:30 AM
No kidding.. My neighbours upstairs since I have been home and moved my power source to a different curcuit have been plugging stuff in to too many outlets in their place causing the power to go out here for an hour twice since I have been home since Tuesday, and because the fuse box is in the other tenants apartments and no one here has a key to get in there to fix it we have had to wait for them to get home.. but I had to laugh because they were *itching because ther a/c and everything else upstairs and next door went out and mine was still on along with all my tank stuff.

It sucks when you have to share a power source with two other units. You learn your limits real quick.

But I have definately been looking into one of those UPS type units.

lastlight
07-09-2010, 04:43 AM
Hottest it hit today in my livingroom was 26C. I had been out and the wife had turned the window AC unit off. Tank was still steady at 79F. My 4-fan unit has impressed me so much. 79...always.