PDA

View Full Version : Who is eating my Shrimps?

ALang
07-08-2010, 01:43 AM
I have these in a 133 gal reef tank:
2 percula clowns
2 Lubbock's wrasses
9 Blue green chromis
1 Orchid dottyback
1 yellow tang
1 lawnmower blenny
I sand-shifting amblygobius goby
3 yellow tailed azure damsel fish
1 6-line wrasse
1 two spot wrasse -Halicheres biocellatus
1 yellow-tail Indian angel
1 cherub angel
1 mandarin goby
1 flame hawkfish ( I know, but it is only 3/4" long!)
1 yellow-headed jawfish
1 PJ cardinal fish

The only thing that I can think of is the flame hawkfish. I read that you should introduce the shrimps first ( Skunk Cleaners) prior to adding the hawk. I have both med and large-sized ones in there, one day after I brought the flame hawk home. A week later, not even a white whisker in sight! No shells, bodies, nada.
Altogether, 5 cleaner shrimps totally disappeared. Looked everywhere. I really like to try again before the flame hawk gets too much bigger. Any suggestions?

whatcaneyedo
07-08-2010, 03:17 AM
Six line wrasse are also cautioned against for sometimes eating ornamental shrimp.

fishytime
07-08-2010, 07:46 PM
any of your wrasses could potentially be a suspect.....I watched my mystery wrasse and a lineatus wrasse team up on a peppermint that I had......

Leah
07-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Shortly after adding my Lunare and Candy hogfish my 2 Cleaners also pulled a disappearing act...I believe they are just playing hide and seek.

By the way you have a lot of fish, Wow! My tanks are so empty!

ALang
07-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Yeah, Leah, I do. Bad, I know, but I cannot resist another cutie when I see one. And now I may have to get rid of a couple of them. I witnessed the Indian yellow-tail angel and the two-spot wrasse tear apart a soft-shelled slug-like snail and ate it. The wrasse didn't seem to have a very big mouth! I will try to catch these two to put into a tank at work. OR I could just let the 2 cleaners that I just brought home go to the tank at work. Depends on how much work I want to do or how wet I am willing to get.
Thanks everyone. I knew that if I watch tthem enough I will catch whoever is the culprit!

Leah
07-08-2010, 09:16 PM
:lol: I hear you it is hard to resist I am just lucky in that I need to order my fish.
I have witnessed my beautiful Lunare wrasse brutally attach and murder a large
Nasssarius snail...much to my horror. I didn't really need to see that. Eat or be eaten, but really would prefer to look the other way when it does happens.

ALang
07-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Yup. So I will be taking the two cleaners to work, no wrasses there. At home, even if the first two are eliminated, I still have the two Fairy Wrasses and 6-line to worry about.
So..., even though I really would like to see my reef tank having a couple of sets of whiskers poking out behind my LR, I better not, at leasr until one day, when the fish Gods smile upon me, and let me win the lotto 6-49 so that I can upgrade my tanks. Then, watch out! Now I know why everyone has a fowlr tank, too, on the side, for the oops! buy.
I had these guys since they were teeny, so hard to let them go to the lfs. Hmmm, at least this will be a lesson for others.
Still don't get it... his mouth is sooo tiny!!!