PDA

View Full Version : Tank Upgrade Help

Ross
07-06-2010, 09:19 PM
I'm finally upgrading my 33gallon to a 67gallon (36W x 18D x 24T)
I have a bunch (90lbs) of dead rock that I'd like to use partly in the new tank.

If I relocate the old tanks contents into the new one, can I slowly add a chunk of the dead rock at a time without causing a huge cycle?
In the 33, I have aproximatly 45 lbs of live rock and 20 lbs of sand.

I was told a while back from a respectable store that 10% of total live rock weight can be added at a time without much thought.
I realize that will be slower than cycling the tank of dead rock, but I cant really do this due to a space constraint.

Any thoughts aside from set up the new tank with the old rock and cycle it first?
I have a bunch of sps (birdsnest, montis, acros etc.), a few lps (hammer coral), a bunch of mushrooms and a several zoas.

gobytron
07-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Seems inline with my understanding of this.
I have added up to 30% new rock to a system without any visible effects.

Add the live rock as you've described and you might see a small cycle but nothing detrimental to a system.

You might want to consider adding the initial 10% to your tank and then taking the rest of your dry rock and seeding it with a little rock from your established tank in a tupperware container or something and then slowly adding the rock in small intervals from the tupperware...

This will probably lessen the cycle and also speed up your overall time to maturation.

lorenz0
07-06-2010, 09:47 PM
just add one rock a week (like a decent size one). just play it safe and do it slowly esspecially if it is dried out rock