PDA

View Full Version : Toxic help

DNoakes
07-05-2010, 03:12 PM
I am needing some help with my system. I am running 8-20 gal fowlr tanks, 100gal sump with lavarock and live rock and a coralife superskimmer220 needle wheel.

Two days ago I had an ammonia bloom. My ammonia level went from 0 to 7.5 overnight. My protine skimmer started skimming white milky substance no black goo like it normally does. I've done extensive water changes and checked for something dead and rotting but can't find anything. Every morning it is the same problem, super high ammonia levels. Final note is that this morning my skimmer won't even skim now it's just bubbling without skimming.

Does anyone out there know what is going on with my tanks? I myself think it is a sabbateur since it is also is affecting two other tanks which are on totally seperate and independent systems.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
DNoakes.

Buzz
07-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Maybe someone using windex to clean the glass for you or spraying air fresheners in the room?

whatcaneyedo
07-05-2010, 09:40 PM
I doubt this is causing your problem but I thought I'd mention it anyways. I've read that lava rock is a poor choice for saltwater aquarium rock because it will leach undesirable metals like iron into your water. If I could remember where I read this I'd post a link for you but unfortunately I've forgotten.

Based on the other information you've provided all I can think of is to keep doing water changes, perhaps get a better skimmer (I don't like coralife anything) and give us some more information. For instance, how old is your system? What are your other water chemistry parameters? Do your tanks contain any livestock yet?

reefwars
07-05-2010, 10:46 PM
That's alot for one day to change I would suspect something has entered your tank do you have kids maybe they poured something in? I've only ever once seen amonia that high and it turned the tank black and killed everything the culprit was he added alot of uncured liverock caused a huge spike and yup tank crash

bvlester
07-05-2010, 11:31 PM
Lava Rock contains most metals in it but mostly iron which is bad for salt water tanks. your fish corals and snails can be producing extra amounts of slime or you could have some thing spawning in the tank.

Bill

DNoakes
07-06-2010, 12:02 AM
I doubt this is causing your problem but I thought I'd mention it anyways. I've read that lava rock is a poor choice for saltwater aquarium rock because it will leach undesirable metals like iron into your water. If I could remember where I read this I'd post a link for you but unfortunately I've forgotten.

Based on the other information you've provided all I can think of is to keep doing water changes, perhaps get a better skimmer (I don't like coralife anything) and give us some more information. For instance, how old is your system? What are your other water chemistry parameters? Do your tanks contain any livestock yet?

I don't like Coralife anymore myself at least not anymore. I do have fish in the system, 10 chromis, 1 imperator,1 manderin goby, 2 purple anthias, 2 clownfish. I have tested the lavarock for leaching of minerals and it came back negative. The system has been running with full loads on it in excess of 50 fish for weeks at a time with no problems and now with a light load on it it crashed hard. Even though I've fought with the skimmer for quite a while the damn thing it has always at least skimmed fairly well for me. Like I say it started frothing a thick white milky substance for a day and then stopped skimming all together. Then the big ammonia strike hit. I'm thinking I have to also switch skimmers. Was thinking about the aqua C 1000 or the Precision Marine Bullet XL. If you know of a better industrial strength skimmer for a reasonable price please let me know.
Thanks
DNoakes

DNoakes
07-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that there are crowds of people around the tanks at different times all day long. The tanks are in my store. I've had lots of fish for many years and never even heard of this problem, but then again I've never had public display tanks before. Only private tanks in my home.

christyf5
07-06-2010, 01:49 AM
is there anything in the tank that could have spawned (ie corals/clams/anemones)?

DNoakes
07-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Actually now that you said that I've noticed that the nassarius snails have reproduced in the millions. but that was weeks ago. Do you think that could have an affect this much later?

christyf5
07-06-2010, 04:39 PM
No I doubt they would do that much damage, especially with that much water volume you're running. Not sure what else to suggest.

chris121277
08-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Did you ever find out if some one dumped something in your tanks?

DNoakes
08-18-2010, 10:59 PM
No the only thing I found was an empty water bottle with the a small amount of some kind of oil in it.

The only other thing that happened is someone dumped a half a container of beta pellets in one tank. I found the leftover remains of that in the filter and in the protien skimmer. Good thing they work most of the time.

xblade
08-20-2010, 03:39 AM
Oil and water when mixed up and airated in your skimmer would have produced a milky looking foam. That's probably what happened.

DNoakes
08-23-2010, 06:25 PM
yes it did. it was a white milky substance in the on top of the sump and in the skimmer it was a milky substance and would not skim. As a matter of fact it wouldn't skim for about two weeks. I had to thoroughly clean my whole system up and scrub my sump down as well as my skimmer.