PDA

View Full Version : Golden Dwarf Help

Zoaelite
07-05-2010, 03:28 AM
Anyone have any experience with the Golden Dwarf angel (Centropyge aurantius)? I currently have one set aside at golds that isn't eating anything prepared that I'm hoping to put into my 65g Zoa tank.

The only other fish in the 65g will be a radiant wrasse and a tailspot blenny. I have read that they are very shy and that they require a photo acclimation period.

dsaundry
07-05-2010, 04:57 AM
Try adding garlic, it can sometimes induce them to eating, clams can help too...good luck

Delphinus
07-05-2010, 05:05 AM
Can't help with any answers but I sure do like that angel, one of my favourites in pictures. Never seen one for real. Good luck!

Myka
07-05-2010, 05:10 AM
Levi (right?), this is a finicky fish. Your best bet to get the fish eating is to put it directly into your reef (not a QT). Maybe you can work a deal out with them at Gold's suggesting that since you have the fish on hold, if it doesn't start eating it will die anyway, so you may as well try in your own tank where your odds of success will be much greater. Maybe they can do a partial or full money back (store credit) guarantee. They are risking losing the cost of the fish simply by ordering a finicky fish, so I would hope they would be willing to give the fish its best shot which in turn gives them the best shot at making their money off it.

In a reef setup it is usually easier to entice a new fish to eat as he will see the others eating. Some popular food items for Angels would be frozen mysis, frozen "angelfish" food (with sponges), and raw clams in shell (buy at grocery store). Garlic works wonders too.

Zoaelite
07-05-2010, 05:26 AM
Levi (right?), this is a finicky fish. Your best bet to get the fish eating is to put it directly into your reef (not a QT). Maybe you can work a deal out with them at Gold's suggesting that since you have the fish on hold, if it doesn't start eating it will die anyway, so you may as well try in your own tank where your odds of success will be much greater. Maybe they can do a partial or full money back (store credit) guarantee. They are risking losing the cost of the fish simply by ordering a finicky fish, so I would hope they would be willing to give the fish its best shot which in turn gives them the best shot at making their money off it.

In a reef setup it is usually easier to entice a new fish to eat as he will see the others eating. Some popular food items for Angels would be frozen mysis, frozen "angelfish" food (with sponges), and raw clams in shell (buy at grocery store). Garlic works wonders too.

I'm totally on board with that idea, I felt bad because the little guy is in such a small tank with no live rock and I would hope that I could get him to eat. He has been at golds for about 3 weeks now, I will give them a call tomorrow and see if I can set something up.

Bonus is the tank is packed with white sponge, I have no problem loosing it if it means the angel will be healthy.

Levi

Red Coral Aquariums
07-05-2010, 02:38 PM
We got the two we have to eat Pacific Plankton (Ocean Mysis) by soaking it in garlic and wrapping it Nori.
Kevin

Zoaelite
07-05-2010, 05:25 PM
We got the two we have to eat Pacific Plankton (Ocean Mysis) by soaking it in garlic and wrapping it Nori.
Kevin

Hmm might as well make some sushi for me while I'm making food for the fish :lol:, Kevin is the pair for sale? After getting one Devo want's to one up me and buy a pair of them....

Red Coral Aquariums
07-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Hmm might as well make some sushi for me while I'm making food for the fish :lol:, Kevin is the pair for sale? After getting one Devo want's to one up me and buy a pair of them....
One sold one is available.
Kevin

Canadian
07-05-2010, 06:50 PM
These guys come from fairly deep water from what I recall don't they? Long term, for optimal health, you'll likely have to keep the temperature on the lower end for a reef tank. Having lots of LR, cooler water, and somewhat subdued lighting would best replicate its natural habitat and facilitate normal behavior (including feeding).

Zoaelite
07-05-2010, 07:10 PM
These guys come from fairly deep water from what I recall don't they? Long term, for optimal health, you'll likely have to keep the temperature on the lower end for a reef tank. Having lots of LR, cooler water, and somewhat subdued lighting would best replicate its natural habitat and facilitate normal behavior (including feeding).

As the zoa tank is connected to the main tank I really have no way of lowering the temperature, I will be reducing my photo peroid until the dwarf is healthy and then I'm hopeing to increase it back to normal (His health permitting). I'm going to try and pick him up today and will post photos tonight.

Kevin I will get Devan to give you a call.
Levi

nlreefguy
07-05-2010, 07:35 PM
I had one of these fish, a real beauty but really difficult to get to eat, even after weeks in the tank it still wouldn't eat with any consistency. Really shy fish, too. Hardly saw him at all, unfortunately, he spent the vast majority of his time in the rocks. Obviously, he didn't last too long. Every time I see one I'm tempted to try it again but my first experience was probably enough. Anyone reading this thread who has actually manged to keep one alive long term???

Coleus
07-05-2010, 07:50 PM
I have one and he has been in my tank for 7 months now. Not sure what he is eating but his belly is fat. He is very shy fish and rarely come out, however he will chase my other dwarf angels whenever they meet.

However, i notice all my zoas start disappearing but i also have flames angel, muli color angel, rock beauty angel, emperor angel. So not sure which one is the culprit. However, i don't mind :-) I also see he is snipping at sps and other corals as well.

Good luck tho! it is a beautiful fish but hard to enjoy because it hides all the time

Zoaelite
07-05-2010, 08:12 PM
Unfortuantly he passed away @ golds yesterday, probably another one of those fish best left in the ocean. I feel really bad now as I let him sit there for 3 weeks instead of bringing him home to the reef. :cry:, I was really excited to bring this guy home I visited him at golds like 5 times.

Coleus
07-05-2010, 08:17 PM
sorry to hear. But yeah, this fish is extremely hard to keep. I got this fish from another canreef which has been in his tank for years. Maybe you will get better luck with the one from Red Coral.

Myka
07-06-2010, 04:25 AM
Aw, that's sad to hear. When I read that he has been there for 3 weeks without eating my heart sank. I was hoping he was a new arrival. The best bet with fish like these that are difficult to get eating is to get them as soon as they hit the tarmac so to say.

Levi, now that it is after the fact, I would suggest that your 65 gallon tank is too small to really give this fish a chance. But they are so cryptic that they are hardly seen in a larger tank. It is lose, lose for this fish. Beautiful no doubt though.

Coleus
07-06-2010, 04:07 PM
But they are so cryptic that they are hardly seen in a larger tank. It is lose, lose for this fish. Beautiful no doubt though.

True, but everytime I see mine swimming out, it is like a special treat :-). He is much cuter than my flame angel with his very special rounded eyes

Anyway, I don't encourage LFS to bring them in tho because the dying rate for this fish is very high, even Denis at Gold admits it

Zoaelite
07-06-2010, 07:10 PM
True, but everytime I see mine swimming out, it is like a special treat :-). He is much cuter than my flame angel with his very special rounded eyes

Anyway, I don't encourage LFS to bring them in tho because the dying rate for this fish is very high, even Denis at Gold admits it

Out of 3, 2 of them died on him, the third one is still sitting there on hold. I really hope someone brings him home to avoid a similar fate to mine.

Coleus
07-06-2010, 07:18 PM
There were 3 of them? yesterday i visited the store and didn't see any.

Zoaelite
07-06-2010, 07:42 PM
There were 3 of them? yesterday i visited the store and didn't see any.

Yup he got a total of 3 in, 2 died and there is still one small guy on the far right quarantine tank.

Myka
07-07-2010, 03:49 AM
Out of 3, 2 of them died on him, the third one is still sitting there on hold. I really hope someone brings him home to avoid a similar fate to mine.

I find this really sad. Not only does the retailer lose money on a pricey fish, but the fish (which originated in our oceans) is dead, and the fish wasn't given its best fighting chance. I really do think retailers should get fish like these out the door as fast as possible and put a guarantee on them instead. It will give the fish a better chance at survival, and the vendor a better chance at making money off it.