PDA

View Full Version : Are my clowns sick?

eternitybc
07-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Hi all,

Just got my first two clownfish two days ago, they are tiny little guys about 1 inch long. I added them to my reef tank that's about 5 weeks old now. All the parameters look good. I noticed they both seem to have stringy poop and I'm wondering if I need to worry about it? They are both really active and seem to be eating. If it continues how long should I wait before I need to take action? There seems to be lots advise online about med dips and food and such but I want to make sure I'm not jumping the gun.

SAMSHUNG
07-05-2010, 01:27 AM
Any idea if they are wild or captive bred clowns? My captive raised Percula has been a champ since day one. My other two wild Perculas didn't eat too well at first but eventually warmed up to mysis and flake food. One of them also had white stringy feces which wasn't a good sign so I treated the food with one course of Seachem Kanaplex and Seachem Focus. It seems to have worked and neither Clown exhibits any ailment and their poo seems normal-ish. (I'm no expert, just sharing my experience)

eternitybc
07-05-2010, 03:20 AM
They are captive raised, they have a huge tank of them at J&L. I just feed them Formula One Marine Pellets and they gobbled them up and are still very active so i'm hoping its nothing. I will keep my eye on them though :biggrin:

SAMSHUNG
07-05-2010, 04:26 AM
I purchased mine from J&L as well. I think you should be fine but you can always use the medication I mentioned above as there is no harm in administering it as a preventative measure.

eternitybc
07-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Turns out it was just an acclamation issue. They seems to have settled in nicely and are happily swimming around. I think I’m going to get some preventative meds anyway though so I’m ready next time. Thanks Samshung for your help.