PDA

View Full Version : Vortech help/thoughts

parkinsn
07-04-2010, 05:47 PM
So I want to put my vortechs on the back of my tank. Here is the issue, I have a piece of black acrylic on the back of my tank with a small air gap between it and the glass due to the silicone holding it on. Without draining the tank and drilling holes in the acrylic for the wet side to sit in, do you think its ok to put them on the acrylic and compensate on the dry side for the thickness of glass, acrylic and air?

christyf5
07-04-2010, 06:57 PM
I can't see that being a problem. I wouldn't factor the air into the equation though, it doesn't affect the magnet in any way.

andestang
07-04-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm guessing your worried about the acrylic cracking from the pressure of the magnets squeezing the acrylic up to the glass ? How thick is your acrylic and how much of a void do you think you have between the two ?

Skimmerking
07-04-2010, 07:32 PM
it will work man , the new vortechs are made to run cooler and has the rubber piece to spread out the heat.

parkinsn
07-04-2010, 08:26 PM
I'm guessing your worried about the acrylic cracking from the pressure of the magnets squeezing the acrylic up to the glass ? How thick is your acrylic and how much of a void do you think you have between the two ?

Im not worried about the acrylic cracking im just concerned about the performance. the acrylic is 3/16" and the air gap (cant be measured but i would say like 1/16"? cant be much) 1/4" total air an acrylic (ish)

parkinsn
07-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Well I guess it cant hurt to try. Any other thoughts out there?