PDA

View Full Version : Hermit Wars

Seamazter
07-04-2010, 04:15 PM
For almost ever until recently if i saw two hermits fighting it out and trying to kill each-other id move them apart to keep them from dieing.

Now and for about a month or so, Ive been watching them fight and not interrupting. Even at times I seem to self cheer one on, hoping he gets away, or the other to win.

Does this makes me evil or nasty, never have I seen one kill the other but many time they fight or crawl on each-other trying to flip them or pierce them.

So does anyone else enjoy watching hermits fight, or am i just a mean reefer?
Its not like its UFC more like HFC (hermit).

naesco
07-04-2010, 04:20 PM
For almost ever until recently if i saw two hermits fighting it out and trying to kill each-other id move them apart to keep them from dieing.

Now and for about a month or so, Ive been watching them fight and not interrupting. Even at times I seem to self cheer one on, hoping he gets away, or the other to win.

Does this makes me evil or nasty, never have I seen one kill the other but many time they fight or crawl on each-other trying to flip them or pierce them.

So does anyone else enjoy watching hermits fight, or am i just a mean reefer?
Its not like its UFC more like HFC (hermit).

Most reefers would set up another tank to separate them.

don.ald
07-04-2010, 04:21 PM

that would be a great poll. who would setup another tank for a hermit crab LOL

Seamazter
07-04-2010, 04:21 PM

Thats a great idea, im always looking for more reasons to add another tank.

fsjman
07-04-2010, 06:57 PM
one would be dead by now they may just be fighting for a morsel of food. mine do it all the time at feedings nature wouldn't seperate them so why play god may the best hermit win

ElGuappo
07-04-2010, 07:22 PM
my vote is that they are fighting for a home.....

Wingin It
07-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Mine fight for something to do...lol
There are plenty of shells for them to go to, but they like to pull each other out. Every now and again I find a hermit body floating around.

SAMSHUNG
07-04-2010, 09:15 PM
I was discouraged from keeping blue-legged hermits in my tank but as I had already introduced them I figured I'd keep them anyway. Left plenty of empty shells for them to pick-n-choose and prevent/limit feuding. Oddly enough I haven't seen anything in their behavior that would merit not keeping them in an aquarium. They may not be as effective cleaners as I thought they would be but they're still interesting to watch. I've only had two hermit deaths and both came by the hands of my cleaner shrimp who are far more ruthless than the hermits are.

lastlight
07-04-2010, 09:18 PM
I only have 5 in my tank. I used to seperate them but it's actually pretty funny how they bicker. Tank is full of larger shells yet they still gotta go there. The smaller ones just tuck inside and wait it out. It's never violent per se just cracks me up that even when I add food and they go nuts...if they cross paths they gotta do it up.

Wayne
07-04-2010, 09:38 PM
I like to drop new shells in and they all come out like its a lawn sale :)

I got to witness a blue legged hermit crab pull another out of its shell and hop in! It was kinda like a F1 driver using his arms to hoist himself in and out :biggrin:

Neet little creatures!

Seamazter
07-04-2010, 11:50 PM
Sweet, the fight should continue now.
Thanks everyone i don't feel so guilty watching them box.