PDA

View Full Version : LF Inexpencive temp controller........

The Grizz
07-04-2010, 04:42 AM
Hey Guy's & Gal's,

I am looking for a very inexpensive controller to control 1 heater & 1 cooling fan to keep the temp stable in my 8 footer. I have been thinking of a chiller but can't afford one atm. Let me know what you have or seen.

Seamazter
07-04-2010, 04:47 AM
Ive used an aqua controller JR before for this same reason.
Works very well be it a fan or air-conditioner pointed at tank.
The fan created too much humidity.

mark
07-04-2010, 05:27 AM
Ranco (http://www.amazon.com/RANCO-ETC-111000-Digital-Temperature-Control/dp/B0015NV5BE)popular, can have a heater and fan plugged in, can also get pre-wired

The Grizz
07-04-2010, 05:39 AM
Ranco (http://www.amazon.com/RANCO-ETC-111000-Digital-Temperature-Control/dp/B0015NV5BE)popular, can have a heater and fan plugged in, can also get pre-wired

How do you hook up a heater and a fan to this controller, could not find an info on this.

Myka
07-04-2010, 05:40 AM
Maybe try this...? My heater is set at 80 degrees. On my tank I have two fans, one is a 4-fan strip, and the other is a small but powerful Honeywell table top fan. The Honeywell is always on high, and brings fresh air from the living room onto the sump. The fan strip is mounted on the edge of the sump, and is on the same timer as the lights. My tank is considerably smaller than yours, but this setup keeps my tank at 80 at night and 82 during the day. I would like to keep it under 80, but if I set my heater to 78 the temperature will fall to 78 at night, but still go up to 82 during the day, so i keep the swing smaller by setting the heater a tad higher.

The way I see it, using a temperature controller to control a fan is a waste of money. You know the tank will get warm when the lights come on, so why not put the fan on the same timer the lights are on? Also, the fan will not likely cool the tank too much, and if it does your heater will take up little electricity.

mark
07-04-2010, 05:43 AM
How do you hook up a heater and a fan to this controller, could not find an info on this.

sorry the 211000 (http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc211000000-stage-p-105.html) is the 2 stage

The Ranco ETC-211000 is identical to the Ranco ETC-111000 (http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-digital-temperature-controller-p-86.html) except that this unit is 2 stage, and has 2 relays to control both heating and cooling at the same time or two heating or cooling stages. (The output relay NC and NO ratings are also different than the single stage control).

The Grizz
07-04-2010, 05:59 AM
Maybe try this...? My heater is set at 80 degrees. On my tank I have two fans, one is a 4-fan strip, and the other is a small but powerful Honeywell table top fan. The Honeywell is always on high, and brings fresh air from the living room onto the sump. The fan strip is mounted on the edge of the sump, and is on the same timer as the lights. My tank is considerably smaller than yours, but this setup keeps my tank at 80 at night and 82 during the day. I would like to keep it under 80, but if I set my heater to 78 the temperature will fall to 78 at night, but still go up to 82 during the day, so i keep the swing smaller by setting the heater a tad higher.

The way I see it, using a temperature controller to control a fan is a waste of money. You know the tank will get warm when the lights come on, so why not put the fan on the same timer the lights are on? Also, the fan will not likely cool the tank too much, and if it does your heater will take up little electricity.

This will not work on my tank as the light's are on 4 different timer's and I have not run a heater on this tank AT ALL since it has been up and running. With all the pump's for return, closed loop, 2 skimmers with feed pump's and a pump for my NP pellet's my temp never got below 78 or above 81 until the summer heat and the AC in my house does not affect the room the tank is in as much as the rest of the house.

The Grizz
07-04-2010, 06:01 AM
sorry the 211000 (http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc211000000-stage-p-105.html) is the 2 stage

The Ranco ETC-211000 is identical to the Ranco ETC-111000 (http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-digital-temperature-controller-p-86.html) except that this unit is 2 stage, and has 2 relays to control both heating and cooling at the same time or two heating or cooling stages. (The output relay NC and NO ratings are also different than the single stage control).

This is what I am looking for or some thing similar.

whatcaneyedo
07-04-2010, 07:06 AM
Whatever you do, do not get an Aquamedic Biotherm Controller. I dont think they make them anymore but there are probably some used ones kicking around. I bought several a few years ago and they have all caused me problems. Garbage.

JDC
07-04-2010, 09:59 AM
For $100 plus shipping I can sell you my 2 month old pinpoint 2 stage temp comtroller.
I upgraded to GHL when my system grew.

lastlight
07-04-2010, 02:23 PM
You can buy Rancos on ebay. Got mine for about $60 I think. Be careful you get the 120V model if you go that route. I accidentally got a version that requires 12VDC input so I had to buy a power source for it as well. When I wired mine I followed a tutorial I found online from some BBQ forum. Turns out those guys use them too.

By the time you hack apart a few good extension cords etc you're likely better off getting pre-wired. I love these and won't run a system without one now.

Dez
07-04-2010, 03:08 PM
My wife is my free temp controller. She monitors the tank temp all day while she's home and if it goes above 80 degrees she turns the fan on. The heater is set at 79 degrees. If it goes above 82 degrees then she proceeds to turn the halides off and leaves the T5's on. You should try it sometime. It works great. :biggrin:

Leah
07-04-2010, 03:25 PM
My wife is my free temp controller. She monitors the tank temp all day while she's home and if it goes above 80 degrees she turns the fan on. The heater is set at 79 degrees. If it goes above 82 degrees then she proceeds to turn the halides off and leaves the T5's on. You should try it sometime. It works great. :biggrin:

:lol:

lastlight
07-04-2010, 03:37 PM

And obviously she's doing a pretty darn good job too! I'm not sure she can beat the check frequency of a controller but the built-in AI if there's an issue is much more advanced!

Lance
07-04-2010, 04:29 PM

Controller vs Wife

Controller: Wife:
- inexpensive (+1) - expensive
- can't cook - can't cook either, but tries to (+1)
- small footprint (+2) - hogs the whole bed
- can't do laundry - does laundry (+2)
- energy consumption small (+3) - hot baths, hair dryer, curling iron,
- car gas & oil, TV, etc. etc. etc.

Sorry Dez. Gonna stick with my controller!

fkshiu
07-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Jehmco sells re-badged and pre-wired Rancos at pretty reasonable prices if e-bay concerns you.

http://www.jehmco.com/html/temperature_controller.html

Myka
07-04-2010, 04:49 PM
This will not work on my tank as the light's are on 4 different timer's and I have not run a heater on this tank AT ALL since it has been up and running. With all the pump's for return, closed loop, 2 skimmers with feed pump's and a pump for my NP pellet's my temp never got below 78 or above 81 until the summer heat and the AC in my house does not affect the room the tank is in as much as the rest of the house.

Ok. What are you thinking the temperature controller will do? All a temperature controller does is control when the heater comes on and when the fans/chiller come on by sensing the temperature. If you don't have a heater to run anyway, then buying a temperature controller seems like quite a waste. I think you will find that if you simply hook up some fans to a temperature controller that the fans will be on constantly when the lights are on anyway.

I have multiple timers as well - the lights that stay on the longest are 2 T5s that run for 12 hours a day. The timer that runs those lights has two 3-prong outlets, one for the fan, one for the lights. It's a lot cheaper than a temperature controller which you really don't need - especially if you're trying to save your Pesos.

I know you're not keen on a chiller, and I don't blame you. Your tank stays nice and cool, but holy mackerel the chiller puts off a tonne of heat into the room.

Another thought which may work for you would be to install a small in-window air conditioner for your fish room. You can find these small units for around $100. Then you don't have to sweat your balls off while you enjoy watching your tank.

lastlight
07-04-2010, 09:22 PM
Then you don't have to sweat your balls off while you enjoy watching your tank.

So *that's* what happened to you. Nice work =)

On a less serious note...my fans kick on at 80 and they run for about 5 min before shutting off (tank's at 79).

Leah
07-04-2010, 09:30 PM
[QUOTE=lastlight;532249]So *that's* what happened to you. Nice work =)

Hope the *new plumbing* was new and not used. :wink:

The Grizz
07-05-2010, 12:19 AM
Ok. What are you thinking the temperature controller will do? All a temperature controller does is control when the heater comes on and when the fans/chiller come on by sensing the temperature. If you don't have a heater to run anyway, then buying a temperature controller seems like quite a waste. I think you will find that if you simply hook up some fans to a temperature controller that the fans will be on constantly when the lights are on anyway.

I have multiple timers as well - the lights that stay on the longest are 2 T5s that run for 12 hours a day. The timer that runs those lights has two 3-prong outlets, one for the fan, one for the lights. It's a lot cheaper than a temperature controller which you really don't need - especially if you're trying to save your Pesos.

I know you're not keen on a chiller, and I don't blame you. Your tank stays nice and cool, but holy mackerel the chiller puts off a tonne of heat into the room.

Another thought which may work for you would be to install a small in-window air conditioner for your fish room. You can find these small units for around $100. Then you don't have to sweat your balls off while you enjoy watching your tank.

My tank only hit above 82 on hot days. Case in point, today is cool and overcast here with a little rain and my tank with all the light's on has not gone above 80.5. If I was to run a fan when the light's came on on days like today it would drop the temp to low. With a controller that can run a heater and a fan I can program it to turn on fan when above 80 and a heater when below 78. That way I can maintain a steady temp with only a couple degree fluxuation .

intarsiabox
07-05-2010, 12:38 AM
If you had a heater in the tank the temp would never drop below the set point even on cool cloudy days and you could still do what Myka suggests if you want to.

The Grizz
07-05-2010, 12:42 AM
If you had a heater in the tank the temp would never drop below the set point even on cool cloudy days and you could still do what Myka suggests if you want to.

I do have a heater in the sump (200W) but every single heater I have, about 10 different one's, will not stay at a steady temp. For some reason they all seem to creep up and have to be adjusted daily. If I had a controller it would be a hands free way to maintain temp.

mark
07-05-2010, 01:29 AM
I'm using a type of logger to control a couple of muffin fans over my sump and a heater. Found temperature stays within about a degree throughout the day. The logger controls the tank temp but have the heater's internal thermostat set a little higher than where I want the tank as a backup (for shutting off).

Doug
07-05-2010, 02:02 AM
Would you guys like this moved to the equipment forum for discussion ?
Thanks

Doug
07-05-2010, 02:12 AM
What about this one from BRS
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/finnex-deluxe-heater-controller.html

The Grizz
07-05-2010, 02:37 AM
That one would be great if there was a 2 stage model or might have to get two.

Chipie
07-05-2010, 02:53 PM
Keep an eye on Reefcentral and you'll find great deals on Rancon dual stage controllers. I bought one and would never be without one again. They are aupposed to be the most reliable controllers.

frd72
07-05-2010, 05:47 PM
This is what i did with my controller, i bought this: http://oceanaquatics.com/store/product/3468/Jalli-Heater-Controller/ then hook up a 120v relay, then hook up the fan to normally close on relay.
The operation will be:
1. Temp controller on= heater on= relay energize, fan off
2. After reaching desired temperature= temp controller off= heater off = relay de-energized = fan on since it is connected in normally close..Basically the fan will only turn on when the heaters are off..
This is the cheapest for me and it works.

tedy