PDA

View Full Version : Putting an external overflow on a prebuilt tank

blacknife
07-03-2010, 09:27 PM
I was thinking of putting an overflow on my 33 and adding it to my system but I am not sure the best way to do it.

the best suggestion i can get from the net is to pull it apart and cut one pane lower for coast to coast.

I want it to be quiet as the tank i have now is noisy as hell.

so i have a couple other thoughts:

internal just the pipes going in, 3 pipes all facing up but cut at different heights for a herby

or only a small internaloverflow perhaps an inch or so wide drilled through the side and have all the plumbing in an external overflow.

anyone have any better idea's?

mark
07-04-2010, 03:00 AM
If you can drill it or notch it (not tempered), can do just about anything without pulling apart, internal, external, Herbie, Bean. Do you want the tank tight against the wall (internal) or okay with it stand away (external or Bean). Just need to make a overflow chamber and that can be as easy as a single piece of glass diagonal siliconed in the corner.

intarsiabox
07-04-2010, 03:19 AM
Take a look at Dez's build. He cut out his own external overflow and looks great. He also explains how he did it and what equipment was used.

blacknife
07-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Mark, how do you propose notching it?
most of what I have read says leaving corners in any structural wall on glass is not good.

might have to look into one of those diamond edged grinders to go with the few sizes of glass hole saws i already have and slot near the top similar to dez's. That would probably look cleaner than the small internal overflow i was planing ported to external for the plumbing..