PDA

View Full Version : Cleanup crew

bryceschutte
07-03-2010, 09:16 PM
I just acquired a 90 gal tank and it is filthy. I need shrimp and snails. Today would be great. Or where is the best place in Calgary to buy shrimp?

Wingin It
07-03-2010, 09:29 PM
Red Coral - IMO
or you can find some at Big Al's or Pisces

Zoaelite
07-03-2010, 09:31 PM
Red Coral usually has some pretty good prices on CUC, don't know what there stock looks like give Kevin a call @ (403) 338-1880 and I'm sure he will be glad to let you know.

Could also try Ocean city, they seemed to be pretty full when I went there last.

reefwars
07-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Try gettin some hermit crabs their always worth the investment and their some what affordable:)

Myka
07-03-2010, 10:55 PM
Shrimp are a pain in the butt. They steal food from other corals, and pick at some other corals. The same goes with hermits, plus hermits will kill snails to steal their shells. I would suggest you look at a snail/conch only CUC. I would also suggest you talk to Kevin or Doug at Red Coral, they will help you out. :)

kien
07-04-2010, 12:24 AM
I just acquired a 90 gal tank and it is filthy. I need shrimp and snails. Today would be great. Or where is the best place in Calgary to buy shrimp?

What do you mean by filthy? Is the glass covered in black tar?? A clean up crew won't help that :(

If you can be a little more specific about your "filth" we can better help you pick a clean up crew :D

Zoaelite
07-04-2010, 12:30 AM
I hear BP is giving out free money to clean up "filth" maybe you can apply and buy a new CUC.

+1 with Myka but Kien raises a good point what sort of "filth" are we talking (Photos work very well :biggrin:).

Wayne
07-04-2010, 03:04 AM
Pick up like 3 Mexican Turbo Snails and and Mag Float glass scraper.

I use the Mag scraper for the front pane and let the Snails take care of the rest! They have an interesting pattern for eating but they will eat almost all types of algea from any surface. They even jump on powerheads and clean them off aswell!

bryceschutte
08-16-2010, 07:18 AM
its thick green stuff on the glass that has to be scraped off. And I now have a layer of green algae covering everything that light hits. 90% of my sand is covered.

gobytron
08-16-2010, 02:25 PM
Shrimp are a pain in the butt. They steal food from other corals, and pick at some other corals. The same goes with hermits, plus hermits will kill snails to steal their shells. I would suggest you look at a snail/conch only CUC. I would also suggest you talk to Kevin or Doug at Red Coral, they will help you out. :)

+1
and the odd urchin...

I recently acquired my first urchin from a tank shut dow I bought and I am just so happy with it's cleaning...

My return lines have NEVER been so spotless...

I DO have a couple hermits though, because I think they are neat and only 3 or 4 in my 95 display.