PDA

View Full Version : Splitting leather coral

Frenchie2
07-03-2010, 08:20 PM
I just split a huge "devil's hand" coral (ooh, that was fun...) and I managed to make 3 frags out of it. Right now, each frag is held on a piece of LR by a not too tight elastic band, but the elastic band is severing the coral anyway. A while ago, I read a thread that mentioned bridal veil to attach coral to LR??. Can't find the thread anymore. Can anyone explain how EXACTLY to use the bridal veil, to keep the coral on LR. Thank you for your help, greatly appreciated.

whatcaneyedo
07-04-2010, 02:39 AM
I've heard of using bridal veil too but never bothered. Even if the rubber band causes it to split down the middle it will fuse back into a single colony in time as it grows. All of the toadstool frags that I make and sell have done that. To the buyer it just looks like they get two frags on the same disk for the price of one. Or what you could do is just remove the rubber band after a week or two as soon as the coral has attached on its own to minimize the splitting.

There are lots of other ideas in this article which might help
Securing Propagated Corals
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-10/ac/feature/index.php

bvlester
07-04-2010, 04:31 AM
what I do is place rubble in a container and then place frags in with rubble any where the frag touches the rubble it will adhere to.

Place container in the sump lower flow there and if you do not have a sump then place in a low flow area of the tank.

Bill

Doug
07-04-2010, 01:45 PM
Many moons ago, when I use to frag soft corals, I always used some mono fishing line and a decent sized needle to attach the frag to a piece of rock.

bvlester
07-04-2010, 05:01 PM
leathers start attaching Farly quickly so I just put them in a container with rubble and usually they have started to attach within a couple days, and after a couple weeks they are on the rubble pretty good.

Bill