PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer suggestions for a 50 gallon?

nlreefguy
07-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Sorry about this type of post, I'm not getting the info I need from searches. I'm looking for the best skimmer for a heavily-stocked 50 gallon SPS reef with a 20 gallon (approx) sump. I'd prefer a recirc type if possible, though I'm not entirely convinced it's necessary. I'd also prefer to not break the bank (budget less than $250). I'm also NOT convinced about the need for all the new-fangled skimmer design tweaks (e.g. cone, bubble plate, etc), but I'm open to being convinced! haha Anyone have any suggestions????

OceanicCorals-Ian-
07-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Sorry about this type of post, I'm not getting the info I need from searches. I'm looking for the best skimmer for a heavily-stocked 50 gallon SPS reef with a 20 gallon (approx) sump. I'd prefer a recirc type if possible, though I'm not entirely convinced it's necessary. I'd also prefer to not break the bank (budget less than $250). I'm also NOT convinced about the need for all the new-fangled skimmer design tweaks (e.g. cone, bubble plate, etc), but I'm open to being convinced! haha Anyone have any suggestions????

http://www.oceaniccorals.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=535

http://www.oceaniccorals.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=528

http://www.oceaniccorals.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=539

nlreefguy
07-03-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks, I was also thinking about the DNWB-110 but I can't find any info about it online, particularly user experiences with it. Does anyone have any practical experience with this skimmer?

Skimmerking
07-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Hey hows she going byyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

If yo are looking for a skimmer in the 50 gal range there are alot of them. However when you are looking at ta skimmer for a small tank that is great. But with a 50 gal tank I always tell people that why not just do 5 gal water changes per week. really you aren't making any more head way on a 50 gal. Having a skimmer is only prolonging the water changes and helps in the assistnace of taking out the extra nutrients in the tank until you can do a water change.

But I would go with some thing on a top brand. from MY Experience. And believe me I have it ask any one hence the title under my username. and being from ST John's my self and living on 131 white a way street My Father was in the Forces.:biggrin:

how much do you feed now
where is the tank at ( some of the POC skimmers are loud.)

PM me your number and I will tell you what I think and what you can go for ok.

saltynuts
07-03-2010, 04:13 PM

If yo are looking for a skimmer in the 50 gal range there are alot of them. However when you are looking at ta skimmer for a small tank that is great. But with a 50 gal tank I always tell people that why not just do 5 gal water changes per week. really you aren't making any more head way on a 50 gal. Having a skimmer is only prolonging the water changes and helps in the assistnace of taking out the extra nutrients in the tank until you can do a water change.

But I would go with some thing on a top brand. from MY Experience. And believe me I have it ask any one hence the title under my username. and being from ST John's my self and living on 131 white a way street My Father was in the Forces.:biggrin:

how much do you feed now

mike you should change your name to skimmer king

fencer
07-03-2010, 04:30 PM
rs 180 or asm g3 or vertex (one step down from a 250)....recirc skimmers the improvement in skimming rate is minimal

Skimmerking
07-03-2010, 05:59 PM
one thing about recirculating skimmers is they are great if you wanna have them in another cabinet or your sump is full and can not put one in there. My Deltec was like that the key to a external is utilizing the pump to run fill the skimmer keep it minimal so you don't get overflows.

nlreefguy
07-03-2010, 06:46 PM

how much do you feed now

Well, byyyy, she's goin' just great , but more appropriately whaddyat? haha

I feed a couple times a day, mostly mysis (thank you, anthias). I'm running the NP biopellets and my tank is in my living room and, yes, I'm obsessive about noise.

nlreefguy
07-03-2010, 06:47 PM
Oh, and thanks for the link, asmodeus. What do you think of the same skimmer but the 120 model? Is it not enough?

Skimmerking
07-03-2010, 07:21 PM
I always Like to go double or triple with the skimmer sizes just so if you do need to pull nutrients out its done fast and not slow.. I like to have the power in my back pocket when I need it.