PDA

View Full Version : always getting sick

hound96
07-02-2010, 02:51 AM
i have no clue what to do i have tried everything and i am almost ready to sell my tank , i have tried all the methods of introducing fish and still they get ich even when i know they srent sick when they go in my new one was watched for 2 weeks and even when i did put it in the tank it had almost no stress sighns and what it did have was minimal and gone next day, also researching the fish they are extremely hardy and even considered beginner fish but yet here i am tonight looking at white spots on my fish what the F

reefwars
07-02-2010, 03:32 AM
Unfortunately bud I had the same prob long ago too many big fish in a tank could have the best water conditions and the slowest aclimation processes but a big fish needs room or they get stressed and you have some big fish lol post your livstock size and lenght and your tank size and someone here I'm sure can give you a better answer. I got a hospital tank if you need to treat of them just let me know:) good luck buddy:)

hound96
07-02-2010, 04:43 AM
i've actually downsized i have a 5" magnificent foxface, a 3" ocelaris clown, and a 4" picasso trigger in a 90 gallon with a 30 gallon sump/fuge

reefwars
07-02-2010, 05:01 AM
That's not bad for a 90 i know you got some new rock lately is there enough in there now?? All water parameters are good?? Is it the tank i seen or is this a new set up?? Sure it's ich??

hound96
07-02-2010, 02:28 PM
i have about 70 lbs of rock my parameters are all good except nitrates i can't get below 20 and thats doing water changes every 2 weeks

mseepman
07-02-2010, 03:11 PM
You may want to look into the new biopellets to help you get those last nitrates down. Some have suggested that a uv filter will help with the ick as well...eliminate it from the water column at least, but I haven't tried that.

plutoniumJoe
07-02-2010, 03:22 PM
I would also add that dosing all food with Garlic and Selcon keeps ich at bay for me. When I made my switch over to my new tank I added a yellow tang, probably too soon and within a day it had black ich. Uped the Selcon and Garlic and it disappeared in about two days and did not return. I then got brave and added a Copper Banded Butterfly. This time traditional white Ich struck him and my regal tang. Stayed up with the Selcon and Garlic and all are doing fine.

-Joe

mark
07-02-2010, 03:34 PM
if your tank has had ick, there's a chance every fish you add it will catch it no matter the quarantine, as the ick is in the tank.

Keep the fish healthy as you can, keep the stress down, keep the water quality up will help reduce outbreaks but won't eliminate ick. For that you'll need to remove ick hosts from your tank (fish) then let the tank go fish fallow for something like 6 weeks to break the ick life-cycle. Then to ensure you don't get ick re-introduced you need a rigid quarantine of everything that goes in (fish, corals, macro) for a month plus, not just 2 weeks.

reefwars
07-02-2010, 04:57 PM
I have the same prob always at 20 lol it's a curse not a big deal just gives you something to choose from. Do you treat them with any meds before placing them in??

Slick Fork
07-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Ich is a parasite that goes through cycles. The ONLY way to get an Ich free environment is to break that cycle.

Pull the fish that are in there and put them in a hospital tank to treat with Hyposalinity or copper. Leave your display fishless for up to 8 weeks.

Quarantine EVERYTHING that's bound for your tank for a month or two.

hound96
07-03-2010, 01:09 AM
problem with pulling everything out is i have corals glued to the overflow and i have a bta as well as mushrooms and green star and a peacock mantis (hard to house all in a small hospital tank ) as for medicating i have to stick with dosing garlic as i cant afford to buy reef solution,selcon, or any of the other things i could use

reefwars
07-03-2010, 01:58 AM
May be able to help you out there we can get your corals off the overflow and if you want to house them in my tank your welcome to same with the peacock Ive got a refugium he can use as for fish I'm fully stocked except for a 33 g I have some left over paraguard I used with some fish when I got them don't think it's reef safe but your welcome to it

mark
07-03-2010, 02:01 AM
problem with pulling everything out is i have corals glued to the overflow and i have a bta as well as mushrooms and green star and a peacock mantis (hard to house all in a small hospital tank ) as for medicating i have to stick with dosing garlic as i cant afford to buy reef solution,selcon, or any of the other things i could use

You only need to remove the fish to break the cycle, corals etc can stay.

hound96
07-03-2010, 02:15 AM
if someone has a spare 25 gallon i can borrow to house the fish in for 6 weeks that would help then i could break the cycle also that stuff you offered me would it hurt the anemone or the urchin?

reefwars
07-03-2010, 02:37 AM
Probably would I wouldnt try it their not too detaily on their site for me I used it with out any livstock or inverts before putting the fish in quaritine. Post an ad asking if someone can loan or borrow you a tank to use while waiting for them to die off I'd say there's gotbto be someone there with one collecting dust:)

hound96
07-03-2010, 02:45 AM
if you wouldn't mind i'd like to come by and pick up that paraguard if possible give me a call 587-783-9332 its local