PDA

View Full Version : Coral Hitchhiker ID

SAMSHUNG
07-01-2010, 10:43 PM
I think they're Cup Coral but I'm not entirely sure. The polyps weren't visible when I first purchased the Live Rock they came in on. In fact it looked more akin to barnacles on a rock. Then after a month or so in the tank they came out of dormancy (if they even do that) and began showing their tentacles. Out of curiosity I began to place mysis near their mouths which they seem to welcome. After about a month the largest one of the bunch has nearly doubled in size. And the other 'dormant' cups appear to be growing tentacles as well.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4100/4752526111_e03a507efa_b.jpg

TheKid
07-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Looks like a sun coral to me or a dendro

SAMSHUNG
07-01-2010, 11:31 PM
I hope it does bloom into either or, however it's currently a light brown colour with white tips. I know the picture isn't that clear but I haven't been able to get decent tank shots with my point-n-shoot.

Zoaelite
07-02-2010, 01:09 AM
Looks like a sun coral to me or a dendro

+1, but its lacking most of its color.

nlreefguy
07-02-2010, 01:51 AM
Where is the rock from? That might tell you a lot about the possibilities...

SAMSHUNG
07-02-2010, 04:07 AM
Good point, I hadn't considered that. It was listed as Jakarta Live Rock when I purchased it and judging from other Indonesian LR that I've seen I think it's accurate. It was purchased from Pacific Aquatics in Surrey (incidentally they currently have it on sale for $5.75/lb). Are Sun Coral and Dendros indigenous to that location? Also, as both Sun Coral and Dendros have differing requirements how might I tailor it's husbandry until I determine exactly species it is?

Sorry for all the Q's but I'm a total n00b still.

muck
07-02-2010, 05:40 PM
Looks like "Black Sun Coral" (Tubastrea sp.) to me...

bvlester
07-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Good point, I hadn't considered that. It was listed as Jakarta Live Rock when I purchased it and judging from other Indonesian LR that I've seen I think it's accurate. It was purchased from Pacific Aquatics in Surrey (incidentally they currently have it on sale for $5.75/lb). Are Sun Coral and Dendros indigenous to that location? Also, as both Sun Coral and Dendros have differing requirements how might I tailor it's husbandry until I determine exactly species it is?

Sorry for all the Q's but I'm a total n00b still.

Paul charged the name back to Paul's Aquatics from Pacific Aquatics a little while ago. Pacific Aquatics is his parent company name. I have known him since the beginning of the 1990's. Great guy knows his stuff and will give you as much info as he can. He also brings in some very nice fish, his prices are normally a bit less than J&L but not always, but they are close at any rate. He guaranties his fish also, one other thing he has been in this hobby and retail world for around 35 years.
As far as your hitch hicker very nice I have a couple that have a bit of blue to them mine came fro a rock I picked up from AA, I like them they stay prity small.
Bill