PDA

View Full Version : Coral Id

Wayne
07-01-2010, 02:15 AM
Need some help finding out what this is :)

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy22/Racing_Rush/IMG_2338.jpg

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy22/Racing_Rush/IMG_2337.jpg

Thanks

ABreefkpr
07-01-2010, 02:32 AM
That looks like a Chili coral.

Nebthet
07-01-2010, 03:00 AM
Definately looks like a chili coral and not a happy one. This corals needs to be placed in a darker area of the tank with low to moderate flow. It will more than likely need to be target fed planktonic type foods once it's polyps come out.

naesco
07-01-2010, 03:04 AM
Very difficult to keep.
Affix upside down to the bottom of a rock in a fish-less tank dedicated to it.
Feed copious amount of phytoplankton to the point where the water has an almost permanent green tinge and you may have success in keeping this one.
Avoid laminar flows (like with a power-head) and opt for turbulent flows directed around not on the coral.

Wayne
07-01-2010, 03:08 AM
Definately looks like a chili coral and not a happy one. This corals needs to be placed in a darker area of the tank with low to moderate flow. It will more than likely need to be target fed planktonic type foods once it's polyps come out.

Yeah hes still in the bag which I brought him home. Hes acclimating right now :)

Wayne
07-01-2010, 03:30 AM
Very difficult to keep.
Affix upside down to the bottom of a rock in a fish-less tank dedicated to it.
Feed copious amount of phytoplankton to the point where the water has an almost permanent green tinge and you may have success in keeping this one.
Avoid laminar flows (like with a power-head) and opt for turbulent flows directed around not on the coral.

I will certainly try to get him upside down. Just looking at where exactly to put him.

EDIT: Well the upside down part isn't going to happen at this point in time, Can I frag him? He is actually on two small peices of rock can I slice him down the middle into two and then upside down would be more realistic. I think I might need to grab some of the rock and build a cave for him and some mushrooms with some acrylic rod and a drill :) Going to have to wait till he feels less stressed thou.

Wayne
07-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Ok I have decided to give him away to a very nice person who is better equipped to handle his needs :)

Thanks for the posts!

Nebthet
07-01-2010, 10:11 PM
As long as he is in a dark place like a very shaded over hand it is ok. doesn't HAVE to be upside down.

You will need to direct feed when the white polyps are out. I would suggest, taking the end of a pop bottle after cutting to size so you can push it in he sand some and putting it over the coral when you do this.

You can then feed this coral some cyclopeeze, frozen or freeze dried, coral snow, or phytoplakton, or Reef Roids.

For the dry ones like reef roids, mix in some saltwater for 10 min, then use one of those larger tester dropper things and squirt in at least two amounts 5 minutes apart of the stuff for the coral to give it time to eat some.

This will protect the coral and let it feed without the current in your tank getting in the way, and will also help keep some fish out of it. After 10 min, remove the bottle portion and the left over food can free float around your tank and feed some of your other corals.

galeas
07-02-2010, 01:04 AM
I hope it lives, i had it in my tank for 4 months it just "appeared" during my tanks beginning cycle. It was living underneath a cave i had set up. He seemed to be very happy there and lived through a tank move and a complete water cycle so he seemed pritty hardy.. I hope it lives where ever you put him there wayne!