PDA

View Full Version : Anemone not eating, should I worry?

Quinn
11-15-2003, 01:02 AM
So as you may know, I have an M. doreensis from Steve (Rasta). I've had it since late September. It's looking good and my A. polymnus clowns are hosting in it, but it has never eaten. I've tried mysis, raw prawns and flakes, and it just doesn't respond. Today it looks like it is planning to take a walk tonight, as it has risen partly out of the sand. Should I be worried about it not eating, and is it possibly cheesed at me for some reason, hence the presumed plans for locomotion?

Buccaneer
11-15-2003, 02:00 AM
Is the spot he is in a relatively high flow area ? ... what I noticed with that dude was he did not particularily like high flow ... not sure why as most anemones like a bit of flow ? ... dont worry too much about the eating as the clowns I am sure are looking after him ( I hope ) ... if he decides to go on a walkabout it is prolly due to too much flow ... either that or he just wants to stretch that foot out for a bit :razz:

Cheers

Quinn
11-15-2003, 02:04 AM
Quite low flow, I'd say about a 2 or 3 on a scale of 1 to 7. The clowns don't bring him anything as far as I know. Maybe he's just eating their poop at night or something.

He is most certainly moving now. We'll see how far he goes. He used to be scrunched against the glass and now he's an inch away, and as inflated/spread out as ever.

http://quinn.rdcpsych.org/fish/misc%20nov%2014%2003/anemone-1.jpg

http://quinn.rdcpsych.org/fish/misc%20nov%2014%2003/anemone-2.jpg

Quinn
11-15-2003, 02:22 AM
In 15 minutes, he's moved close to an inch. He is roughly halfway across that rock behind him (in the second photo).

EmilyB
11-15-2003, 03:02 AM
IME and what from what I read prior to getting anemones.

They like the actinic light spectrum. They like nutrient rich water.

My Lta liked enough flow to gently move the tentacles. It only ate fish at the beginning, try a piece of silverside. Once eating it ate anything.

Quinn
11-15-2003, 03:08 AM
Umm here's a dumb question, are silversides a typical Superstore item?

robbyville
11-15-2003, 03:09 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about it, even if he moves it doesn't necessarily mean that he's hungry. Especially if you have a hosting clown. I used to feed my anemones but stopped once Sid and Nancy started to host. I never feed them individually anymore and haven't for over 6 months. They sometimes eat the fish food as it flows by but I'm told that they do not need to since they get their nourishment from the clowns.

HTH

Rob

sumpfinfishe
11-15-2003, 07:31 AM
When I kept Carpets they use to love a feeder every other month, so much that I wouldn't even find any bones! :mrgreen: