PDA

View Full Version : Moving a tank.

bryceschutte
06-28-2010, 07:32 PM
What are some good rules to follow in regards to moving a saltwater setup? Fish, coral, water?

reefwars
06-28-2010, 08:00 PM
I had to move a 180 across the city for me I housed the fish somewhere else for a few days and with like ten people and all the buckets and a spare 120 g. We left the sand in hopes of not stirring it up good luck with that lol we did it as fast as we could all in one trip with three trucks used all the same water kept the rock submersed . I used garbege bags on the sand when pouring water back in with plates on top to minimize splash , I set up all rock and skimmer and sump added fish a few days later starting with the bigger ones. Def helps of you have a friend who can house the fish for a few days . Prob couldn't hurt to do a water change after either:). Good luck on your move and remember as long as you think it will take times it by two lol:)

damtrees420
06-28-2010, 09:34 PM
"as long as you think it will take times it by two lol" +1

ScubaSteve
06-28-2010, 09:53 PM
Pretty straight forward, just go slow and try to not F' anything up. I just moved mine recently (last week). I thought it was going to take about 4 hours, give or take.... nope, a good solid 8 to 9 hours. I was up until 5 am! Needless to say I was all arseholes and eyeballs the next day.

Get your new tank filled and warmed up beforehand if you can (I went into a new custom tank so I was able to have it running a few days before) and try to get the sand storm settled ASAP, it'll make life A LOT easier.

bryceschutte
06-28-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the good ideas everyone. So what's everyone in fhe Calgary area doing Wednesday night?

reefwars
06-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Make it sellers expense lol I always go for that tell him you'll give him/her 30 buck tell em it's easy money and it's just around the corner won't take more than a half hour of his time :) are you moving one individual tank to a new location or moving the contents of a tank into a new one???

kien
06-28-2010, 10:53 PM
A few large rubbermaid tubs and lots and lots of towels. Buy some extra heaters and powerheads.

Try to minimize the amount of time that the live rock is out of water. Transport them in water if you can. That's where the rubbermaid tub comes in handy.

The other rubbermaid tub you can use as a temporary holding tank for the fish while you set up the new tank in your house. It may take you some time if there is re-plumbing involve and if there is a cycle in the new tank.

If the fish and rock needs to sit overnight or longer, make sure they have a heater and a powerhead to circulate the water. For the fish make sure they have oxygenated water with a bubbler.

And yes, it is as painful a chore as it sounds.. It will be wet and messy and time consuming. Just go in expecting that and you should be fine :-)