PDA

View Full Version : Pump or not to pump

Seriak
11-13-2003, 08:46 PM
I am finally putting my new floor down on the main floor and at the dame time I am going to plumb my tank to the basement. I plan on using a 1 and 1/2 inch return and a 1 inch pipe to the tank. (Canadian Man's suggestion)

Only question is; What pump should I use? I like the idea of a external, but I don't like the idea of cutting a hole in my tank. If I was to go with an external can you plumb it up and over the glass or does that lose too much of the pressure. Also, anyone cut holes in glass at a person's residence. Tony???

Help

Chris

Canadian Man
11-13-2003, 09:12 PM
Hey Chris.
I was using a LG 4mdqx-sc to go up to the main tank. I also had my skimmer intake plumbed over the sump wall with no problems. Just have to use very large intake plumbing. I used all 1.5". It's a bit of a pain to prime but once it's done it's good.

cheerrs

Skimmerking
11-13-2003, 09:12 PM
if you are going to have a pump in the basement then go with a good pressure pump to have a goof flow on the tank depending on thw size..

mike

Delphinus
11-13-2003, 09:50 PM
Hi Chris. For the tank, one thing to consider about the pipes going up and over the tank wall, is that you can put an anti-siphon hole near the top of the water surface and that way if the pump is shut off you won't get a siphon back down into the sump all the way down the the sump return outlets. If you drill holes for the outlets then you have to figure out some other way to prevent that siphon from happening.

Anyways so you have some options for the pump feed on the sump end. Either drill the hole and use a 1" bulkhead or do the "up and over and back down again" idea. If it were me and the sump was empty at some point then I'd go with the drill option, but if I didn't want to drain the sump then I'd do the other way. It's all good though.. :smile:

cheers

Canadian Man
11-14-2003, 01:32 AM
I think he ment up and over the SUMP wall Tony. So it won't drain his sump. :confused:

Delphinus
11-14-2003, 02:18 AM
Oh... darn, and here I was thinking I was all helpful and everything.

StirCrazy
11-14-2003, 03:26 AM
I am using a MAK 4 and I used 1" for a suction up and over the side. I also placed a "T" at the top with a plug in the end for manual priming.

Steve

Seriak
11-14-2003, 02:32 PM
Thanks for all the input. I will have to consider my options!