PDA

View Full Version : Fragging a Sinularia coral

edikpok
06-27-2010, 02:59 AM
I have a beautiful Sinularia coral that I would like to split in two as it outgrows the tank. What is the best way to frag it without hurting the coral too much and causing it to poison the tank?

reeferious
06-27-2010, 03:46 AM
i've been periodically cropping a green jade sinularia intank without risking it poisoning other tankmates. only material you'll need is a stout fishing line. form a hangman loop at one end of line and snuggle it close to where you want to frag the sinularia, tighten the loop just enough so that the line will sink into coral without cutting it. every two days tighten the knot littlebit more and continue to do so until you have completely sever the coral. cutting this way result in healthy mother and frag with minimal poison released.

whatcaneyedo
06-27-2010, 05:18 AM
If you're worried about polluting the tank you could just followup with a water change and maybe some carbon. Or you could remove it from the water, cut it where you want with a razor, give it a rinse and then return it. Sinularia handle being cut extremely well so there isn't much to worry about.

Doug
06-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Best advice is in a container out of the tank but I have fragged in the tank. Always have used a good blade. Cuts never seemed to bother them at all. When I fragged in the tank my sailfin used to swim in between my hand and eat the little pieces as I was fragging.

edikpok
06-28-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks, I will cut it tonight and will run carbon for a week. Hap- long does it take them to recover?