PDA

View Full Version : Acrylic to PVC

EmilyB
11-13-2003, 04:19 AM
Laff it up....I'm diy'ing... :rolleyes: :lol:

I need to glue some PVC legs to a piece of acrylic. What do I use? :biggrin:

(no, it's not the new coffee table.......)...

kari
11-13-2003, 04:45 AM
GR 2 part epoxy should work. Kind of pricey ($25+) where I picked it up. Cures to a kind of yellowish color though. There is some in your bubble counter where the small acrylic tube is glued to the PVC JG fitting.

Kari

EmilyB
11-13-2003, 04:58 AM
I know I should know what that is.... :redface: however...

Can you tell me where to go get it and what to look for... :mrgreen:

StirCrazy
11-13-2003, 06:22 AM
weldon 16 I believe is made for joining acrylic to dissimular plastics.

here is a rundown of a few Weldon products

"WELDON #3
Non-Flammable. Water-thin, very fast set, solvent type for acrylics. Will also bond other plastics such as styrene, butyrate and polycarbonate to
themselves.

WELDON # 16
Fast drying, high strength, bodied. Bonds acrylics to itself. Also for styrene, butyrate, polycarbonate and other plastics and porous surfaces.

WELDON # 10 (WHITE OR GREY IN COLOUR)
2-Part, high strength structural adhesive. High viscosity. Bonds PVC, acrylics, styrene, ABS, polycarbonates to steel, aluminium, etc.

WELDON # 40
A 2-Part reactive, high strength structural adhesive."

Steve

kari
11-13-2003, 12:52 PM
The guy at Industrial Plastics and Paints is fairly clever. They have both products on the shelf.

Canadian Man
11-13-2003, 03:43 PM
WELDON 16 :biggrin:

Jack
11-13-2003, 05:30 PM
Yup, the 16 works! :mrgreen:

christyf5
11-13-2003, 05:53 PM
Jeez at first there I thought it said you were dying. Never would I think you too would switch to the dark side :razz:

kari
11-14-2003, 01:59 AM
Jon/Jack

Do you guys find you get good strength in pvc to acrylic joints with weldon-16? Just curious for my future ref.

StirCrazy
11-14-2003, 03:25 AM
yes. I find it is good.

Steve

EmilyB
11-14-2003, 05:34 AM
I'm on a mission to find it tomorrow. :biggrin:

Canadian Man
11-14-2003, 06:01 AM
Jon/Jack

Do you guys find you get good strength in pvc to acrylic joints with weldon-16? Just curious for my future ref.

Yes very good bond Kari

Jack
11-14-2003, 06:17 AM
Yeah kari it's good. I think it was designed for that use.

Cap'n
08-28-2004, 08:39 PM

"WELDON #3
Non-Flammable. Water-thin, very fast set, solvent type for acrylics. Will also bond other plastics such as styrene, butyrate and polycarbonate to
themselves.

WELDON # 16
Fast drying, high strength, bodied. Bonds acrylics to itself. Also for styrene, butyrate, polycarbonate and other plastics and porous surfaces.

2-Part, high strength structural adhesive. High viscosity. Bonds PVC, acrylics, styrene, ABS, polycarbonates to steel, aluminium, etc.

WELDON # 40

Steve

What about acrylic to glass? #40?

Canadian Man
08-28-2004, 09:24 PM

"WELDON #3
themselves.

WELDON # 16

WELDON # 40

Steve

What about acrylic to glass? #40?

Silicone is basically your only option and NO it's not structural. Basicaly it sticks to the glass and kinda makes a dam for the acrylic to sit against.

Cap'n
08-29-2004, 03:52 PM
Crap! Maybe I'd be better off going with glass pieces.

trilinearmipmap
09-01-2004, 05:01 PM
A related question: I want to make a 2' long turkey baster for coral feeding, I'd like to attach some pvc pipe to the plastic turkey baster material, I have silicone, pvc glue, and the "super glue" that Ocean Aquatics sells, what is the best thing to use?