PDA

View Full Version : float valves

ganowicki
11-13-2003, 03:26 AM
I need to buy a float valve and the only one I can find is the Kent float valve for $26 at J&L. is there a less expensive alternative??

Scavenger
11-17-2003, 10:01 PM
I wouldn't just limit myself to shopping at aquarium supply strores. There are many other products that use float valves (of all sizes).

ganowicki
11-17-2003, 10:05 PM
where do you find them?

Aquattro
11-17-2003, 10:16 PM
Gord, Adam has a float valve that he got elsewhere. Maybe check with him. I know that humidifiers often have plastic valves. For me, the hassle of looking wasn't worth the money I'd save. I did origianlly look around for a few weeks, but must have spent $20 in gas doing it.

Scavenger
11-17-2003, 10:17 PM
Well I'd go to Home Depot (some plumbing and water filtration units use them), Anchorage Marina, Westwood Marine (Some marine engines and boat appliances use them) ect. Have all the pertenant information ready when you if you don't have the original. Just make sure the new one will handle salt water.
Most parts places only have part numbers for certain model whatevers to look up and not be listed for certain sizes, so you may have to talk really nice to them and ask to look at various ones.

Jack
11-18-2003, 05:09 AM
Gord, I got one from the shop. How's 15$? Send me a PM. I also have your 1.5" gate valve! :mrgreen:

Canadian Man
11-19-2003, 01:08 AM
Don't know if you guy's have a RONA (Formerly Revy ) out your way but I got my float valve there for something like $8.00.

I believe HD sells the same one. In a blue and white hang package in the Humidifier section.

Cheers

DiscusZ
11-19-2003, 06:00 AM
Probably the same one I am using. :biggrin: and have been for ohhhh 5 or 7 years.. :smile: I use it on a 40gal container that I have hooked to my RO unit which is in the furnace room ( I should actually put up some of my old pics of my fish room when I was breeding Angel fish... all I use the room for now is mixing salt for my SW tank... ( I will eventually use the room for aquarium related (in wall tank) and such when my kids are a little older

Don't worry Jonathan your new arrival will not deter much from your SW hobby :biggrin: It did with me as I was spending 3 hours a day down there feeding, rearing etc it was a lot of fun...

Sorry I got off topic :redface:

Jim

BCOrchidGuy
12-03-2003, 04:57 PM
Find a place that sells Laguna pond stuff, they have a float valve very similar to the Kent, I got mine for $15.99 locally.

Doug