PDA

View Full Version : How does a yellow tang "attack"

Milad
06-23-2010, 08:41 PM
So i have a yellow tang,
I just got a fox face and a mimic tang.
I put them in with the yellow tang last night when it was dark.
Yellow tang was sleeping then started crusin the tank.

He found the mimic and just hung out with him for a bit, kinda rubbed up against him, didnt really do much

then it looks like every once in awhile he would back into him and slap him with his tail and the mimic would just be confused and slowly swim away.

he also did this a few times with the foxface. is this how they attack? both mimic and fox face didnt seem bothered, they just casually swam away.

fkshiu
06-23-2010, 08:46 PM
He's just telling them that they're on his turf now. If he was attacking them you'd see injuries on them from the scalpel-like spikes on the base of his tail.

lorenz0
06-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Yep, the best thing to do when introducing new fish (esspecially when you have fish who are very protective) move your LR around. confuses them and no conflist happens. suprised your YT did this, mine is a huge pussy who just attacks himself in his reflection all day long

Leah
06-23-2010, 09:14 PM
And if that doesn't work try a mirror.

Milad
06-23-2010, 09:24 PM
thanks guys. I was expecting them to chase each other around or something but that didnt happen. ill move a couple pieces of rock tonight and throw up a mirror and see if anything changes.

globaldesigns
06-23-2010, 09:51 PM
That is how the yellow tang can attack, not saying he is, but most likely as stated prior, he is just saying this is my land, SO BOW TO ME, YE SERVANT!!!

If the mimic isn't showing any damage and is just swimming slowly away, probably no need to worry.

Sometimes my Sohal chases my yellow tank, The yellow just backs into him whipping his tail around. Kinda neat to see.

Madreefer
06-23-2010, 11:32 PM
My yellow tang does that to both my foxface and a naso tang once in a while. I've watched closely and he does'nt really poke that spike out too much and just letting them know who's boss. I've only seen 1 cut on my naso in 3 years. Most of the time they all seem to be buddies. They are called surgeonfish I think because of the spikes on the sides.

Milad
06-24-2010, 12:45 AM
well i came home expecting fights and having to re arrange rocks and add a mirror
well the yellow and mimic are just crusin the tank together and eating algea

the yellow is still making the foxface hide though.
o and the mimic drop a big duece infront of me like i wasnt there.

banditpowdercoat
06-24-2010, 01:25 AM
I'm positive my Yellow has stressed all my new fish to death. I havn't been able to introduce any new fish in a long time......