PDA

View Full Version : LF 100 gal and up with sump

bryceschutte
06-23-2010, 05:41 AM
I just started cycling some rock and have decided that going straight into 100 gal tank is the way to go. I would love it come with a sump and as many accesories as possible as I completly new at this. All set up and running would be even better. I prefer 6foot long but I am willing to listen to all that is available. Please reply or pm With what you have? Thanks fellow reefers.

saltynuts
06-23-2010, 04:33 PM
hey can you drill your 110. coulod save you money.

bryceschutte
06-23-2010, 04:46 PM
It was a fresh water and therfor might have had ick at one point in time. The ick medicine had copper in it which stays in the tank and will kill shrimp and snails in a saltwater tank. I don't want to risk it.

Aquattro
06-23-2010, 06:40 PM
bump

saltynuts
06-23-2010, 06:45 PM
if the tank had copper in it then yes its no good.

i don,t live by you and was trying to help save some money.
i don,t need to play the ****ing game just thought i could help you out.
i,ll keep my help to myself. hope you enjoy the refractometer i sent you. no need for the thanks.

kien
06-24-2010, 04:27 AM
It was a fresh water and therfor might have had ick at one point in time. The ick medicine had copper in it which stays in the tank and will kill shrimp and snails in a saltwater tank. I don't want to risk it.

Used saltwater tanks could have previously had ick in it as well and could have also been treated with copper. You just never know really.

abcha0s
06-24-2010, 04:41 AM
if the tank had copper in it then yes its no good.

i don,t live by you and was trying to help save some money.
i don,t need to play the ****ing game just thought i could help you out.
i,ll keep my help to myself. hope you enjoy the refractometer i sent you. no need for the thanks.

Hi

I'd prefer to mind my own business, but I think that I can help sort this out. It was me who told Bryce about the dangers of copper medication. As far as I know, he was not previously aware of the risks. I explained that copper can adsorb to glass and that if he wasn't certain that the tank had never been medicated it might not be worth the risk. I understand that he also bought this tank used.

I really don't think he meant anything by his comment other than trying to convey what I had told him. If he seemed a little stressed, I can vouch for the fact that there is a lot going on in his life right now. I think he is trying hard to find a hobby that will take his mind away from his stresses.

In any event, while he really has A LOT to learn about this hobby, he is a super nice guy.

Just my 2c.

abcha0s
06-24-2010, 04:50 AM
Used saltwater tanks could have previously had ick in it as well and could have also been treated with copper. You just never know really.
For Bryce's benifit - Kein raises an excellent point. If you aren't certain of the tanks history, there is always a risk. I personally wouldn't buy a used tank without knowing who the owner was and trusting that they know better than to use copper.

If you are going to buy used, focus on tanks that have corals and inverts in them now, or otherwise do some digging around the previous owner. Impulse buys will get you no where in this hobby.

A general rule of thumb - the tanks the cheapest part in this hobby.