PDA

View Full Version : Breeding live foods?

Wayne
06-23-2010, 02:56 AM
Anyone try those Brine Shrimp Hatchery Thing's?

I am very curious on how one takes dried eggs and hatches live? brine shrimp...

What other options do I have for live foods?

fsjman
06-23-2010, 03:26 AM
I use a pop bottle upside down cut a 1/2 inch hole in the top to add brine and to get it out

Wayne
06-23-2010, 03:54 AM
Sounds simple enough... Just read all about it on someone's website. How can we live without the internet, back in the day would have to have gone the the library. LOL

Ah I see you can do the same for Mysis Shrimp, any local vendors?

bvlester
06-23-2010, 04:18 AM
I use a 3.5 g tank with glass lid and air stone you have to keep the water moving other wise the brine shrimp die pretty quickly

Bill

rayjay
06-23-2010, 04:52 AM
There is nothing as simple and as cheap as using inverted pop bottles with the bottoms cut off for hatching out brine shrimp cysts.
Avoid any hatchery mean for in tank hatchout as brine shrimp cysts, the hatching water and the newborn nauplii BEFORE rinsing under the cold water tap, should never contact your tank water. Brine shrimp cysts are very well known for harbouring nasty bacteria like vibrio.
While it's not always a problem, IMO it's not worth losing my tank contents just to be a little lazy.
Never use air stones to hatch and grow out the brine shrimp but rather use a piece of ridgid air line tube which you can insert into the upper opening and let it rest in the cap at the bottom of the bottle (inverted).
After hatch out of a day, I transfer the newborn nauplii to a larger container for grow out with container size depending on the amount hatched.
I decapp a heaping tablespoon of cysts with bleach and then hatch out. Once hatched, I rinse in cold water and transfer to a 26g container holding about 12g of water at 1.017, adding more water in time as the shrimp grow through the molts.
GROWING BRINE SHRIMP TO ADULT (http://www.angelfire.com/ab/rayjay/brineshrimp.html)

Wayne
06-24-2010, 02:30 AM
Very cool! For the price its certainly going to be a neat thing to try :)