PDA

View Full Version : Great deal on UPS for those who does not have power generator

Coleus
06-22-2010, 06:21 PM
http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Desktop_Workstation/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A1562836#Overview

It is 750 Watt so It can run couple power heads for several hours if the way i understand how Watt works correctly, Maybe some one can chip in how many hours it would run

More research, looks like only last for < 1 hour with couple power heads or so because it is not Smart-UPS.

Coleus
06-22-2010, 06:23 PM
hmm wth. It was 59.99 a moment ago and now 99.99

4lti7ude
06-22-2010, 07:46 PM
If your power goes out is your powerheads or wavemakers really the only thing you need to keep going?

Its odd you posted this; I was thinking about picking up a backup for a while.
How much power would 2 Hydor 1s need to run for about an hour or two?

(Checked the site and its 99 for me too. Only save 20.00)

Coleus
06-22-2010, 07:52 PM
I was able to bought 2 of them at FS for $52.99 at noon after PM with dell.ca. I think dell has updated the price and $59.99 was only for limited stock.

Anyway, after reading more about this APC UPS, it won't last long with power heads or wave makers because they are designed for computers. I will do some test tonight and post back result but this article explains it well http://everythingaquatic.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=filters&action=display&thread=2107&page=1

I definitely going to use one on router and apex unit so it can email me if power is out tho

4lti7ude
06-22-2010, 08:01 PM
I was able to bought 2 of them at FS for $52.99 at noon after PM with dell.ca. I think dell has updated the price and $59.99 was only for limited stock.

Anyway, after reading more about this APC UPS, it won't last long with power heads or wave makers because they are designed for computers. I will do some test tonight and post back result but this article explains it well http://everythingaquatic.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=filters&action=display&thread=2107&page=1

I definitely going to use one on router and apex unit so it can email me if power is out tho

Dammmn 59 is a killler price.
Id jump on it if it was 59 for sure....But now that you mention its not to good for power heads and such im kinda off putt about it.
Reading a bit over that thread, the OP is trying to power TONS of stuff hahaha.
Im pretty sure just power heads and a small pump would work. I a small APC power backup would only be good for Nanos.

Keep us posted on how it puts up tho!

daniella3d
06-23-2010, 03:54 AM
Be careful as UPC are very short lived, even on low power consumption.

They are not made to last for hours but rather 15 to 30 minutes max.

Most of those that we had at work eventualy failed with spark and smoke...very scary!

It is best to buy a home backup unit rather than a UPC that is made for computer. I have never seen a power backup made for computer last very long. Something like the Noma 400 watts ot 1800 watt will last for hours, not minutes.

I have the Noma 400 watt which I paid 59$ when it was on sale at Canadian Tire and it will last for around 12 hours for 30 watts with my pumps and filter. I do not put the MH on this because it would last like 30 minutes or so.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Desktop_Workstation/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A1562836#Overview

It is 750 Watt so It can run couple power heads for several hours if the way i understand how Watt works correctly, Maybe some one can chip in how many hours it would run

More research, looks like only last for < 1 hour with couple power heads or so because it is not Smart-UPS.

bvlester
06-23-2010, 04:33 AM
I have a APC UPS 1500 it works very good you just have to change batteries after a couple years or you are in trouble. I power 2 pumps and a heater, so everything still runs through my sump it lasts for hours as long as you maintain them they work. Get a good one and a good brand helps also you pay for what you get. buy the UPS are meant to hold and run items for hours if not days if you get one that has enough wattage. mine has 1500 watts using two sealed batteries tied together. All I can say is buy the best and you get the best. I can hook my computer up to the UPS and make power adjustments when doing trill runs making it more efficient.

Bill

reefermadness
06-23-2010, 02:16 PM
The 750w rating is for the load....not run time. That UPS is small so do not expect a long run time. Also that UPS has a simulated sin-wave not a true sin wave which may cause problems with some powerheads and pumps.

Be careful as UPC are very short lived, even on low power consumption.

They are not made to last for hours but rather 15 to 30 minutes max.

Most of those that we had at work eventualy failed with spark and smoke...very scary!

It is best to buy a home backup unit rather than a UPC that is made for computer. I have never seen a power backup made for computer last very long. Something like the Noma 400 watts ot 1800 watt will last for hours, not minutes.

I have the Noma 400 watt which I paid 59$ when it was on sale at Canadian Tire and it will last for around 12 hours for 30 watts with my pumps and filter. I do not put the MH on this because it would last like 30 minutes or so.

That is not true at all. UPS's come in all different sizes and quality. Good ones are not cheap though.

no_bs
06-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Here's an idea, the battery is 12v. so instead of using that battery, run lines to a car battery. This way you can run almost everything for quite a while and not worry. I picked up an APC unit(350w) with no batteries, pluged in a car battery and worked perfectly. Voltage is all that matters(amperage is storage). We have a gen. as well, but for that time of having to set it up and plug everything in, it will atleast keep the return pump skimmer and heaters going till then. HTH.

Coleus
06-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Here's an idea, the battery is 12v. so instead of using that battery, run lines to a car battery. This way you can run almost everything for quite a while and not worry. I picked up an APC unit(350w) with no batteries, pluged in a car battery and worked perfectly. Voltage is all that matters(amperage is storage). We have a gen. as well, but for that time of having to set it up and plug everything in, it will atleast keep the return pump and skimmer going till then. HTH.

So you use it as a converter?

no_bs
06-24-2010, 04:05 PM
It's a batery backup system for computers, but have rigged it to have more batery storage. More or less it is a converter with surge protection.

4lti7ude
06-24-2010, 08:09 PM
The Noma sounds like a good one.
Just because the digital timers they make are solid.

I only want to power 2 Hydor Koralia 1, Jager 100W heater when the power goes out.
If thats pretty low wattage can I throw on my Rio 30Gallon Nano Skimmer and 50 Gallon Aqua clear? They dont seem like they would cost so much in power.