PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate Pellets

Seamazter
06-22-2010, 02:20 AM
Well i tried hard and long to not try this stuff out.
Mind you i must always try the newest things just to learn as much as i can about it.
Grabbed a phosban reactor made by two little fishes and a 1000mL of pellets.
Cut the hose put on the pump and dropped in the pellets.
Started off right away at a rolling bubble each pelet is almost suspended and then falls back down, just the way everyone on youtube shows.
(hehe 'youtube' always thought that would be a good insult)

Now 2 to 4 weeks, I normally run a refuge with loads of macro algae. I decided to stop the water from flowing into the fuge, then adding a power head into the fuge area, i wont get to use the fuge but it should maintain itself all the same i created lots of surface ripples to aid in the oxygen needs of the plants and critters. (byebye fuge)

So nothing happen right today possibly not for some time to come but im almost certain my skim-mate is darker right this instant.

What i think is most desirable about the pellets is that it creates bacteria for your corals and filter feeders to eat, also removing the nitrate and phosphate. So if i cant do all three at one time its definitely worth it, just the rowaphos costs a fortune and doesn't have the same benefits of the pellets.

Suppose ill update as i see results, wish me luck.
Someone has done this already in this thread.
http://canreef.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=59332

Doubt i can learn anymore then what has been said already, but hands on is always more fun then hands off.

Milad
06-22-2010, 04:53 AM
you need a power head to grow macro algea?

Seamazter
06-22-2010, 05:04 AM
No but i have no air pumps to use to oxygenate the water as it no longer has the main tank filling the compartment in the fuge.